Mastering Question

Reaction score
I have around 5,000 tracks that are all from selected film scores from various film companies.

These are professionally recorded/mastered tracks that have been delivered to me for editing purposes.

However, several of these scores vary in volume ... even though they have all been previously professionally mastered.

So my question is ... is there any programs out there that will evenly match ALL of these tracks to a set level?

Or should I just match the levels accordingly in Pro Tools and re-bounce out these files?

It was suggested that we get these tracks mastered again ... but i wasn't sure if that was smart since these tracks have already been mastered by the film companies that own the rights.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
I have around 5,000 tracks that are all from selected film scores from various film companies.

These are professionally recorded/mastered tracks that have been delivered to me for editing purposes.

However, several of these scores vary in volume ... even though they have all been previously professionally mastered.

So my question is ... is there any programs out there that will evenly match ALL of these tracks to a set level?

Or should I just match the levels accordingly in Pro Tools and re-bounce out these files?

It was suggested that we get these tracks mastered again ... but i wasn't sure if that was smart since these tracks have already been mastered by the film companies that own the rights.

Any ideas?

I've never heard of any programs that do that for you and I doubt the copyright owners are going to go back and master the tracks again without paying them a whole lot of money.

I would say the easiest starting point would be to get all of the tracks that you plan to use (or as many tracks as you possibly can) in one project, then just normalize all of them to 0 or -1dB and see if that gets them all pretty close. If not, then you might need to start getting all of the RMS levels relatively close without clipping.

5,000 tracks? That's going to be a lot of work... I feel for you. :Confused:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.