insurance while traveling with apple

Reaction score
How would I obtain insurance on my apple laptop while traveling and staying in hotels and at conventions? Does regular travel insurance through the airlines work?

Reaction score
How would I obtain insurance on my apple laptop while traveling and staying in hotels and at conventions? Does regular travel insurance through the airlines work?

You'd have to contact the airlines to verify that, but I highly doubt that the airlines would cover a computer that is lost/damaged during a stay at the hotel. Could be wrong, though, if they are issuing some type of complete travel policy.

If you own a home or have renter's insurance, you should be able to get either a rider on your policy or a separate Personal Articles policy that will cover your mac and accessories. If that's your only computer, you might even check with your insurance agent to see if it is already covered under an existing policy, though the ceiling for electronics on a base policy is often very low ($1,000 - 1,500 range).

I have a personal articles policy through State Farm that covers my laptops for replacement cost in the event of theft or damage. I believe I have a $100 deductible and I think the policy runs me about $60/year. Since I travel frequently, it offers a little peace of mind should something happen.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks so much, I did not want to hear that, tomorrow is the trip, but it is probably correct. Rain

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you rent your home or apartment, renter's insurance will cover your possessions even if something happens to it away from home.

Reaction score
If you rent your home or apartment, renter's insurance will cover your possessions even if something happens to it away from home.

True. But it's also subject to the standard deductible, which in many cases is anywhere between $500 -$2500 depending on the policy and what the policy holder has chosen. Typically renters and homeowners policies are intended for catastrophic losses and are not ideal for covering something like an individual computer.

Best advice: talk to your agent. Find out what you've got, what you CAN get, and what the consequences are if you use your standard policy to cover something like a broken laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Screen 2560x1440, 3.1 Ghz Quad Core Intel, 4Gb of 1333Mhz SD RAM, 1TB HDD, Wireless K
Yes, as stated.....talk to your insurer.
In the UK a home insurance policy usually protects "items away from the home" up to an agreed amount, usually £1000....unless you do not take this part of the cover. Laptops etc usually have to be 'itemised' for this purpose

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.