Printer help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Okay, background:

I bought an Epson RX 700 yesterday. (**** nice printer) I am have a little trouble printing from my ibooks over the wireless network.

First I simply added the printer through printer utility (windows share) and printed a doc from text edit. Got 15 pages of text from a doc with four words.

Next installed the drivers from the disk and tried to add the specific printer in the "other" option, the rx700 ain't there. Could print blank pages.

Found the rx700 in the Library/printer/epson file, but it does not show up in the "other" option.

The printer is hooked up to the PC and shared. The ibooks can talk to the printer but not send the right info. I have also download the most recent drivers from the Epson site. The Epson disk included a "print utility" but it is blank and does nothing that I can see.

Could someone give me a walk through on installing a networked print to a wireless apple?

bone

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why why why can't this be easy. I have spend the last 7 hours reading every thread on this forum I could find, every tutorial I could find and trying ever possible thing I could think of.

I have:

Set the printer on the pc to share
installed the unix print stuff and set to automatic in xp
I installed, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers on the mac.

The printer, Epson rx700 does not show up in the list of drivers when adding a new printer. At first I could print pages and pages of text for a three word, work document, but know there is no communicating with the printer. However, at one piont I did get the print jobs to show up in the printer que on the PC but it did not print.

I have to figure this out or I have 3k in ibooks that are basic just web surfers.

Why is this not easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I would start by using a wired ethernet connection. If you can get that working, then move to trying to get wireless working.

I'm still wired and rarely even use my printer, so I guess I can't be of much help.

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By wired do you mean connect the mac to the network with the cable rather than airport? I will try that. I have manage to connect the mac directly to the printer and it worked fine. I even tried to connect to the print through the mac from the pc. (backwards of what I want to do) Did not work.

This has now become a obsession with me. I will solve this. It is the only way the computers will learn that I am the boss.

Any other ideas would be great.

bone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
boneheadz said:
By wired do you mean connect the mac to the network with the cable rather than airport? I will try that.

Yep. This is what I meant.

It is usually easier to debug a problem when you begin with the basics and work out from there. I see you tried the direct connection so that at least tells your the printer is compatible with the Mac.

Good luck.

OP
boneheadz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
xstep said:
Yep. This is what I meant.

It is usually easier to debug a problem when you begin with the basics and work out from there. I see you tried the direct connection so that at least tells your the printer is compatible with the Mac.

Good luck.

Did a lot of tweaking and playing, turns out that when Keychain remembers a password that's wrong, it doesn't tell you. Once I deleted the smb entry in keychain I could talk to the printer. The easiest solution is usually the hardest to find.

However, still can't print anything but blank pages because Gimp doesn't have the right drive. Ticks me off that Epson doesn't provide networking drivers. Easy fix though, I need a new router so I will buy one with a print server.

I am assuming that once I have a print server the mac and PC will talk to it like the were connected to it. (both machines will need the drivers) Thanx for the help. Current solution is a shared directory for the GF to put docs and then go to the other room to print.

daryl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.