Cleaning your DSLR's sensor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Usually this is all you'd ever need to clean your sensor.

http://appraisercentral.com/cleanscreen.swf

If for some reason that doesn't work, read on :D

I guess this can be a rolling thread, and in fact, I'll likely write a blog for the MF's, documenting how to clean ones DSLR sensor. I'll go through the dry and wet methods that I feel most comfortable with. For now, I'll just post a couple of vids that I thought were decent enough to follow if you have the need to do a sensor cleaning.

Some pro's say dry cleaning is mostly all you'd need, and that wet cleaning only needs to be done in extreme circumstances. Other's say that dry cleaning is a waste of time. I say that there's a time and place for both.

Here's a wet method, kind of no frills and to the point once he gets it going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAXQY...eature=related

Then here's the guys from lensrentals.com (very popular and reputable source) swearing that dry cleaning is king.
DSLR Sensor Cleaning (The LensRentals.com Method) - YouTube

But if it IS oil/grease, a dry cleaning won't cut it, period.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
So yeah, I got brave enough to try the SensorBrush I already told you about.
Brushed the sensor 3 times and all spots gone except the big one I can see in all aperture settings :\

Guess it's something else than dust. Now to decide if I want to get a wet clean kit or just try and ignore it ( Which I already know will be impossible :p )

LOL at the "sensor cleaner"

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So yeah, I got brave enough to try the SensorBrush I already told you about.
Brushed the sensor 3 times and all spots gone except the big one I can see in all aperture settings :\

Guess it's something else than dust. Now to decide if I want to get a wet clean kit or just try and ignore it ( Which I already know will be impossible :p )

LOL at the "sensor cleaner"

Could you please post a sample of the "other than dust" spot? You shooting a white background out of focus?

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Ok, here's the best white/out of focus background I could make. The "other than dust" thing is arrowed.
From my recent photos it appears to appear in the f7+ range ;)
Turns out there are quite a bit more spots still there, but they are so small/invisible that they shouldn't ever appear on a normal photo.

I may be going a little overboard with my dust hunt :p

Hrm, what happened to the auto-scale to fit screen script? Not working for me.

DSC_3568.jpg

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep. Uniform spots like that = grease/oil. You'll need a more cutting type of wet cleaner. More, solvent like. Shouldn't be an issue.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, thanks for that info. Any wet cleaners you can recommend/have good results with?

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I use copperhill's stuff. Works really well and the company is great to deal with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.