Windows 7 installation issue: black screen with blinking cursor

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've spent all day searching forums (including this one) for a solution to my dilemma, but I am still so confused. This "black screen" issue has been discussed widely, but mainly in relation to booting. My black screen appears, though, before I even get to start the installation.

Macbook Pro 2008
running newly installed Snow Leopard (I did a clean install)
using Boot Camp to partition and install Windows 7

I set up Boot Camp, with partitions and get to the part where it asks me to insert my Windows installation CD. I insert the CD, computer restarts only to get stuck on a black screen with a blinking cursor. Then nothing happens. I've tried restarting and holding the option key to manually choose the Windows CD option, but I end up at the black screen again. I know apple support has a solution to this for iMacs, but I'm not sure if that woud apply to my macbook?

I've installed XP on this computer before (when it was running Leopard) with no problem, so I'm kinda lost...please help! or if this specific scenario has already been discussed, please point me to the right thread! any help would be much appreciated..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

For clarification, you are allowing Bootcamp to set up the partition for Windows, downloading and burning to a CD the drivers? The next suggestion concerns the DVD. This is a Windows DVD, or a burnt .iso file? If a Windows CD maybe it is dirty or damaged. DO a search of the threads for burning .iso to disc using Disk Utility. Here is one suggestion to get you started:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...ac/268078-burned-windows-7-iso-blank-dvd.html

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of Windows 7 disk are you using? The black screen problem has been typical of disks that are not eligible to be used with Boot Camp. Such as a recovery disk, OEM specific (Sony, Dell, HP, etc).

OP
P
Reaction score
harryb2448 and chscag, thanks for your replies.

I was using a Windows 7 DVD (not CD..my mistake). However my problem just got resolved by resetting the SMC (which is pretty much shutting computer down, removing battery, etc and starting up again). No more black screen! The Windows DVD was in my drive when I started the computer up again, so it automatically started the Windows install. Really weird glitch, but I'm glad it's fixed now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not seen that particular solution before. Thanks for posting back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.