My New Nikon D800 Is Defective

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06 I3, 16Gig Ram, OSX 10.6.8
I'm sad to say my D800 that arrived 05/12/2012 was defective right out of the box. I've been back to the shop twice proving that the camera refuses to format memory cards using the standard tools menu selection. I've tried different memory cards, one card at a time and menu changes. No dice! The store manager at Camera World acknowledged that I was right so he placed a special order for a replacement and allowed me to use the existing camera until it arrives. I can format my cards By press the trash can button and mode button at the same time. That works. He understands I don't want a defective camera right out of the box. Who knows how long it will take for the replacement? No complaints, they're giving me a new one. :) I use Lexar cards by the way.

Reaction score
That's a bummer, though I have to say if the camera will actually format the card, it seems more likely that it's a software/firmware issue maybe…
mathews_hmmm.gif

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a bummer, though I have to say if the camera will actually format the card, it seems more likely that it's a software/firmware issue maybe…
mathews_hmmm.gif

I, and the store manager, both agree with you. He looked at his dealer's Nikon link online for firmware he could download and first, there are no updates and secondly, they can't download the original. I appreciate the effort he made to resolve the issue, especially since I've been waiting 3 months for my camera. That's why they have warranties. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Spooky, I'm in a bit of a panic myself right now. I found that if I shoot F 9+ I see several largish spots on the picture. I used a rocket blower and got the largest spot to vanish but the others are still there.
So I ordered a Sensor brush from Copper Hill, we'll see what happens.

If that doesn't help, I'm going to give wet cleaning a shot. Although I'm kinda hoping I won't have to do that :p

I really hope it isn't this -> Flickr: Discussing Oil droplets on my lowpass filter in NIKON D7000 CLUB
But it looks awfully similar to what I have (Halo circled spots, dust usually doesn't look like that) :\

Reaction score
I, and the store manager, both agree with you. He looked at his dealer's Nikon link online for firmware he could download and first, there are no updates and secondly, they can't download the original. I appreciate the effort he made to resolve the issue, especially since I've been waiting 3 months for my camera. That's why they have warranties. :)

I would have done the same thing. I would think there'd be a fix for it out pretty quickly. Hopefully this doesn't become an albatross for the D800!

Anything else bother you about the camera?

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would have done the same thing. I would think there'd be a fix for it out pretty quickly. Hopefully this doesn't become an albatross for the D800!

Anything else bother you about the camera?

No other issues. I've searched the internet and the only other known issue is incompatibility with anything other than Lexar or Sandisk memory cards. I blew $56 on a Kingston which certainly won't work. The 16Gig Lexars are 2 for $256. THe camera itself is incredible. I certainly don't regret its purchase. It will be a great lead camera to my D7000.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Spooky, I'm in a bit of a panic myself right now. I found that if I shoot F 9+ I see several largish spots on the picture. I used a rocket blower and got the largest spot to vanish but the others are still there.
So I ordered a Sensor brush from Copper Hill, we'll see what happens.

If that doesn't help, I'm going to give wet cleaning a shot. Although I'm kinda hoping I won't have to do that :p

I really hope it isn't this -> Flickr: Discussing Oil droplets on my lowpass filter in NIKON D7000 CLUB
But it looks awfully similar to what I have (Halo circled spots, dust usually doesn't look like that) :\

Unfortunately, Nikon has a history of shipping cameras with oil from the aperture blades on them. It stinks, but it's nothing that the wet cleaning won't take care of. Wet cleaning isn't as big a deal as one might think, and should be done at least once a year if lenses are changed often, especially if used outdoors a lot.

Sorry to hear about the issue Mike, incredible that Nikon would slouch on the QC like that, just to pump out cameras to the market "on time".

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Wet cleaning isn't as big a deal as one might think, and should be done at least once a year if lenses are changed often, especially if used outdoors a lot.
Thanks Doug, that relives my fear somewhat. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Thanks Doug, that relives my fear somewhat. LOL

I'll PM you with a good instructional video, just as soon as I find it. It is one I've seen before and is quite helpful/concise.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Unfortunately, Nikon has a history of shipping cameras with oil from the aperture blades on them. It stinks, but it's nothing that the wet cleaning won't take care of. Wet cleaning isn't as big a deal as one might think, and should be done at least once a year if lenses are changed often, especially if used outdoors a lot.

Sorry to hear about the issue Mike, incredible that Nikon would slouch on the QC like that, just to pump out cameras to the market "on time".

Doug

Yeah, wet cleaning is a no brainer. A couple times and it'll be habit :)

Mike, let us know how it turns out. Funny thing is I'd never have noticed, I only ever use the two key combo for format. Good on ya for running through the menus!

Reaction score
I'll PM you with a good instructional video, just as soon as I find it. It is one I've seen before and is quite helpful/concise.

Doug

Hey, Doug-

If you don't mind posting the link to the vid, I would certainly appreciate it. It might be useful to others of us as well.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

Reaction score
I have decided to go with the nikon d800. 1 for its built in hdr and 2 for the 36mp. I will be using bracketing and doing real hdr the hard way to but i like the idea of built in HDR because i have alot of fun with the pro hdr app for iphone. I also like the high megapixels because i want to blow up gigante pics on canvas and i dont wanna be limited to shooting raw. I'm a beginner but am told i'm a natural by many photogs. I SUCK at shooting people for now but my knack and passion is in sunsets and landscapes and love HDR! I will also be getting a waterproof housing sometime to get barrel shots in the waves here in balboa/newport beach. OK, my question! What should my 1st affordable lens be considering my style? Thank you photography community! 5 stars for the the best and hugs for the rest! PS. the reason I am getting such a pro camera even though i'm a beginner is because I want something I can grow into and i will be taking a class on the camera not for photography. don't wanna spoil my unique style with schooling. I did the same with guitar and it has worked out great for having a distinct style and voice to my playing. nikonusa.com

OP
bobmielke
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have decided to go with the nikon d800. 1 for its built in hdr and 2 for the 36mp. I will be using bracketing and doing real hdr the hard way to but i like the idea of built in HDR because i have alot of fun with the pro hdr app for iphone. I also like the high megapixels because i want to blow up gigante pics on canvas and i dont wanna be limited to shooting raw. I'm a beginner but am told i'm a natural by many photogs. I SUCK at shooting people for now but my knack and passion is in sunsets and landscapes and love HDR! I will also be getting a waterproof housing sometime to get barrel shots in the waves here in balboa/newport beach. OK, my question! What should my 1st affordable lens be considering my style? Thank you photography community! 5 stars for the the best and hugs for the rest! PS. the reason I am getting such a pro camera even though i'm a beginner is because I want something I can grow into and i will be taking a class on the camera not for photography. don't wanna spoil my unique style with schooling. I did the same with guitar and it has worked out great for having a distinct style and voice to my playing. nikonusa.com

Since you'll want a full frame lens (FX) I would recommend the Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D. It sells for $114 at B&H Camera. The lens is super sharp and super fast focusing. It's also $300 less than the 50mm F/1.4D. If you have lots of money go for the Nikkor 24-70mm F/2.8 FX for around $1800. I have the 50mm F/1.4D & the 24-70mm F/2.8. The photo below was shot with my 24-70.

Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D Review

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF

As far as HDR is concerned you need to be shooting in RAW. There is 256 times more data in a RAW file than the same shot taken in JPG.By shooting in RAW you get more latitude in processing and control. Here's an HDR using 3 frames shot in RAW on my new D800. It is very sharp.

Multnomah-Falls-03-HDR-Framed-X2.jpg

Multnomah-Falls-03-HDR-Exif-X2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, sorry bobmielke… we sorta got sidetracked…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I asked him up above to post the links regarding a question about wet cleaning of the sensors. No one was attempting to hijack or anything.
mathews_thumbsup.gif

That is exactly why I posted that info in a ew thread. Mike, sorry that your thread got derailed a bit! So back on topic:

I'd like to address a few things you've said in reply to our new friend Saleem, if that's ok? And some things he has said as well.

Blowing photos up for gallery prints will not require 36 megapixels. It's all well and good of course, but not necessary. Where the megapixels really come in handy, is when you want to crop your image, and this is where the D800/800E shines like crazy.

It is also capable of amazing dynamic range. But then again, so is the D4 and the D7000. Most of Nikons newest sensors will show this same quality.

As far as built in HDR goes, this is hardly new and can be found in most cameras built from 2011 and up. But if you're really "into" HDR, then do it properly and learn how to use bracketing. Over the top HDR looks silly IMO, even if there's a niche market for it I suppose. Here's a great example of a well done HDR image.

A neutral density filter was used to slow the shutter speed in order to give the water a more calm effect, and there are 5 bracketed shots which allow room to push and pull shadows and highlights. The foreground is clearer due to the fog over the trees.

This is NOT my shot by the way. It's by a gentleman by the name of Glenn Nagel, who haunts the Nikon Cafe forums. Great guy with a great eye and technique. He received an offer to have this one published in a popular magazine:

p29561547-5.jpg

Guess I could have shown one of my own, but was too lazy to go in to Lightroom. His was actually in another tab so..

Now, as far as shooting RAW goes for any of this: Also, NOT necessary. Does a RAW file hold more information in it, as Mike has said? Absolutely. But a good portion of all that information is tossed away during the conversion process to jpg anyway!

The real trick is knowing your camera settings well enough, that you nail exposure spot on the first time! It takes practice, but can be done. The thing that's great about RAW is that (as I've implied) if you do mess up the exposure, you're able to recover a lot more of those shadows or highlights vs that of a jpg file, because the jpg is kind of like a developed negative. The important information has already been thrown away, leaving less data to work with.

In the end, it all boils down to light. Without light, there is no photograph. With just the right amount of light hitting the sensor or mirror etc.. your camera will be able to process all of the necessary data in the RGB channels, the highlights, shadows.

Then there's the camera software, color space and profile it takes up. Which ever bit of software you use to process your photos, it is best to use something that is able to use the native camera processing profile. This way, when you edit, you'll be able to see what best represents the camera settings profile. For instance, I use Lightroom for most of my processing.

Lightroom has built in camera profiles for all sort of camera's, and for each of those cameras, the profiles represent each of the in camera settings that the user is able to switch between. These profile settings are adjustable from within your camera's menu system.
screenshot20120517at124.png

As you'll note, I have Camera Standard version 4 selected. That's the base from which I start all of my work. I feel like it produces what is closest to what my eyes see when I'm shooting, and thus makes it easier for me to make any adjustments or if I want, creative changes.

Were I to shoot jpg only, I'd have to make adjustments to certain things, but in the end, would wind up with the same results as what my RAW files give me. Only difference being, I don't always nail exposure, so I stick with RAW. One day, this will change for sure. I guess it also depends upon what you are shooting, as certain types of things are more open to artistic creativity.

I guess that last bit was more for Mike. Saying that RAW is absolutely necessary for such things isn't accurate or true. Whether or not it helps for a beginner is debatable as well. One school of thought is that sure, it helps because there's always room for correction and I guess that's a good thing, right? But the other school says that it makes one a bit co-dependent. Lazy, if you will. It also says that it is a hindrance in that one will not learn proper techniques for exposure, nor how their camera really works in that respect.

For months now, I've been shooting a lot with manual focus lenses. I'd say about 97% of the time. I'll use aperture priority mode for the most part, but like to go full manual when I'm not feeling rushed or when I'm feeling creative. I have yet to be brave enough to switch to shooting jpg only, though. Shooting manual has really been a great experience in that it has made me focus (no pun intended, but it works) on composition, framing, subject matter and exposure.

If one day I realize that I know my camera(s) well enough to shoot jpg because the exposures are perfect for what I had intended, I'll be very happy to ditch RAW and gain room for more files on my CF/SD cards as well as HD's and externals.

Just remember, that HUGE landscape hanging on the wall was created from a jpg file!

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well said Doug. I shoot raw for much the same reason, and well storage is cheap (and let's face it, swapping cf cards is easier than rolls is). Then again, I still use spot and incident meters, but then there's always wb adjustment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well said Doug. I shoot raw for much the same reason, and well storage is cheap (and let's face it, swapping cf cards is easier than rolls is). Then again, I still use spot and incident meters, but then there's always wb adjustment.

One test shot with a grey card is all it takes to batch process white balance. And if one doesn't have a grey card, Jpgs are a lot more versatile than people give them credit for. If I'm shooting a person, a stand alone meter is great. But for landscapes, such as what I posted above, matrix metering is the best way to go since it will put one right in the middle of the action in terms of highs and lows and mid tones. It will be close enough to be able to push or pull more than enough from a jpeg file, unless one is trying to get really "out there" with their processing.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.