mackeeper

Reaction score
I installed Mackeeper from a link on the Macformat website, so I thought it was reliable! I have since read the threads to say uninstall or don't even bother installing. I did install and let it run a clean up, am i right in thinking it may have affected my ability to sign into my facebook, (I haven't tried to log into anything else as yet!), if so, how or what do I need to rectify it?

C

chas_m

Ads that appear on Mac-Forums are not controlled by the site or its personnel. They are randomly presented based on our shared interest in Macs.

Get the uninstall instructions on how to properly uninstall MacKeeper, uninstall it, and consider the money spent a relatively cheap life lesson.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I did uninstall it, and there appears to be nothing left on my mac which is related. Luckily I didn't pay for anything, but I had let it run the free trial which claimed to have cleared up some space. I'm just hoping that what space it's cleared hasn't affected anything on my mac :-/

Shellsky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
You should install AppCleaner. It's free. It'll delete the app and its associated files.

But still the best way to remove the App is manual deletion.

FOLLOW THIS (I copied this from other wbsite)

To manually remove an application and all associated files:

* Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you want to remove is not running. If it is, quit the process before proceeding.
* Launch Finder and search for the app name (hopefully unique, such as Skype)
* You can narrow the search to specific folders or search your whole Mac
* Searching "File Name" vs "Contents" usually provides better results.
* Click the + button below the search term to add criteria
* Click the search criteria drop-down and select "Other...", then "System files"
* Click the "don't include" and change to "include"
* Sort by name, kind, date, etc. to identify components of the app, such as folders, .plist files, cache files. etc.
* Delete all files and folders related to the app.
* Don't empty your Trash until you've determined that everything is working OK, in case you need to restore something you deleted by accident.
* A reboot might be necessary to completely remove some apps.

Hope this helps

OP
S
Reaction score
If my search in All Processes draws a blank, does that mean i have successfully unistalled the App..?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz i7 16GB RAM 250G SSD OS X Mountain Lion, iMac mid 2011, iPhone 3G
Start with "Launch Finder...." this time since you have uninstalled it already. It will not appear on Process, but some of its remnants maybe still in your computer.

Follow the steps starting the second part....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Did you download it because you thought you had to or thought it was an official Apple product?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 2016 13in 4 Thunderbolt Ports 3.3GHz I7 16 GB Ram
Could staff post a sticky on this forum advising against using mackeeper? Might save folks a lot of trouble.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem with posting a Sticky regarding MacKeeper is that our new members are not familiar enough with how our forums are setup to read the Stickies.

One of our Staff Members is currently working on a "Startup Guide" for new members. Something they can read before diving in to the forums. Items such as the Sticky posts, how to post, how to reply, etc, will be in it.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz / 1TB HDD / 16GB RAM / Model 12.2 / Mavericks 10.9
Somebody somewhere must be laughing his/her head off. MacKeeper must be sold by the tens of thousands, for I cannot go anywhere on the web or I see that ****ed logo and the question ' your mac slow? ' If they can ford advertising this much, they must make a hefty profit!

But not of my money!

Thymen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
More like hundreds of thousands .. seems we have got thousands of queries here after installs. That is what the developers did. Flooded the market and like telemarketing you do enough hits you get enough sales.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
shellsky, legitimate Apple software updates will only come from Apple's own Software Update feature. Anything else you install is at your own risk, you just have to trust the website you're downloading from.

To familiarize yourself with Software Update, click on the Apple menu at the top left of your menu bar. There you will see the menu option. Select it and it will check for updates. Familiarize yourself with the window, let it do its thing, then approve of any available updates. Some you will have to restart after installing, others you won't. You can set it up so that it checks for updates automatically too.

PS Under Mountain Lion, which is to be released in late summer, I believe Software Update will become part of the App Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS Under Mountain Lion, which is to be released in late summer, I believe Software Update will become part of the App Store.

When is the exact month of release? I honestly don't know when is the summer time in whatever place in North America it may be. I'm living in Philippines so I have no idea.

C

chas_m

Sometime between June 20th to September 22nd this year (varies slightly). Those are the official dates of summer in the Northern Hemisphere (various regions may calculate this differently, for example an informal US interpretation is end of May to beginning of September more or less)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometime between June 20th to September 22nd this year (varies slightly). Those are the official dates of summer in the Northern Hemisphere (various regions may calculate this differently, for example an informal US interpretation is end of May to beginning of September more or less)

Thank you @chas_m. So, you suggest it's around september right?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.