external HDD not sleeping

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
hello...

I've got a 2TB WD 'my book' HDD connected to my 2011 I5 iMac as my time machine. I've also got a 1TB maxtor external HDD connected that I put other stuff on.

If I eject my HDD's and 'sleep' my mac, both external HDD's shut down then start up and shut down.. this process happens over and over...

I'm at the point I don't sleep the mac anymore as this cannot be good to the external HDD's

any idea why this is happening ?

Thanks

OP
J

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
oooh pants, can no one help me with this one please .... it's doing me head in...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's probably the firmware on the drives themselves that's causing this. I have the same iMac as you do and do not attach my external hard drives until I need them. That includes the one I use for Time Machine. I realize that not everyone can remember to attach their drive and make a backup, but I prefer to do it that way. Reduces the wear and tear on the drive and since I find making backups every 30 minutes ridiculous to begin with, attaching the drive when I wish to make a backup works for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.