• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Jury Service

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
So I have just been called for jury service. Ive been through a week of it already, and I must admit, it is the most frustrating process I think Ive ever witnessed.

Endless waiting around, hours upon hours of listening to witness statements, and reading them, and lets not forget, why on earth do the court officials wear those ridiculous wigs? Im not sure if thats the same across the pond, but it seems to be some heritage thing here haha.

So, anyone else ever been called?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Nope, but I know people who have.

At least you haven't said anything about the case or your fellow jurors ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I got called for jury duty about 3 years ago. Got selected as a juror, then on the second day they decided to settle out of court so we never actually got to the trial.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I've been called for local/state jury service at least 3 times, I've served on the federal grand jury for almost a year..

The grand jury was interesting since the cases take longer to roll out and the it's the DA presenting the case and all..but the thing that scared me the most were the jurors themselves, usually people who had NO clue what was going on, not paying attention or out right sleeping through the entire presentation and the first one to issues subpoenas or other things..

At least we don't have to look at people wearing those funny wigs..I can imagine that being a thing in the past.like..1700's past, since most nobles wore them all the time right? But why in this modern age do they still do it??

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm sure I'll get called someday but I've managed to elude it thus far. If I do though, I want it to be an interesting case. But, to be honest, I find everything about the legal system terribly boring so I doubt that will happen.

No, the wigs are British thing. However, ours like to wear silly robes (at least the supreme court ones).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've been tapped several times. I don't mind the jury duty itself, it's the waiting around and going through the hassle of trying to find a parking space near the justice building in downtown Fort Worth. You would think the city or county would provide free parking for jury members but they don't.

Member Raz0rEdge is correct about the conduct of certain jury members. It's no wonder our juries come up with the ridiculous verdicts that they do in some of our more famous cases here in the US. (O.J. and Casey Anthony)

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, the wigs are British thing. However, ours like to wear silly robes (at least the supreme court ones).

Haha. Jury Duty: Christmas Special.

most of the time the barrister's are scratching the backs of their necks haha.

Ive been on one proper case already - and although I'm under no obligation any more to keep it confidential - i think the amount of times I heard the same story over and over, makes me reluctant to type it out for the umpteenth time ;)

Let's just say that we were a split jury - and i wanted to slap some of my fellow jurors, particularly the ones who disregarded my opinion due to my age.

I do hope I'm not called again any time soon ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Haha. Jury Duty: Christmas Special.
That's right - 9 Santas run the court! Haha.
Let's just say that we were a split jury - and i wanted to slap some of my fellow jurors, particularly the ones who disregarded my opinion due to my age.
I feel the pain - I get that a lot (so you can look forward to that for a few more years). That's why I like to keep my part time professor card on hand at all times. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've been called several times, but always get cut lose during selection questioning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Could be worse Rob. Could be the accused having frustrated, impatient jurors trying the case wanting to get home! Do not have to worry about even being on the Jury Lists ex Military and State Police.

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Could be worse Rob. Could be the accused having frustrated, impatient jurors trying the case wanting to get home! Do not have to worry about even being on the Jury Lists ex Military and State Police.

I thought Police were eligible for selection? They are here, but as XJ-Linux says; they generally get refused by the defendant when they declare they are police.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've been called every few years, even sat on a couple of jury's. Interesting thing about the US is that the length of service depends on the county in which one lives. I use to live in a county where they tagged you for 2 full weeks, and if you sat on jury for any part of that they kept you when you were done until the end of your 2 weeks. Where I live now it's one day unless you get seated, then it's the length of the trial. If you do get seated you are removed from the rolls for an extra year (they can call you every 2 years where I live).

In most places in the US Active Duty Military are excused, but ex and police officers are fair game. Lets be honest though, cops and ex cops never get seated.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I was called once for jury duty just a few years ago for the first time, but I didn't even have to go in the end. That was such a relief.

If you ever get really bored, you should watch the movie Jury Duty with Pauly Shore. I'm not saying you'll like it, but it'll be entertaining for you. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Called dozens of times over the years and served three times. Unlike TV, it is just one long boring hurry up and wait. I always went to the courthouse with pockets full of books.

But now, the IPAD is a lifesaver. Our courthouse has free wifi and the 'pad will hold hundreds of books, so at least I can have something to do for the hours that you sit and wait. I used to haul a laptop in, but the little tablet is much more convenient.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've served on three juries, the last as foreman. Two were medical malpractice, (both patients died) and the other was just the award to a car crash victim. I've found the experience to be interesting, not boring at all. We found the doctors not guilty. So the most disturbing thing was the wasted time of the court trying cases that should never have been brought. I'm told that the vast majority of medical malpractice cases end the same way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm told that the vast majority of medical malpractice cases end the same way.

More proof that Shakespeare was correct! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My major gripe is if you're a commission paid tech you take a beating on your pay if the trial last for a week and what they offer you a day will not pay for food and parking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Well that makes me safe. Never knew that but feel good i will never have to worry about it ;P

OP
robduckyworth

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, Ive been released now. I almost got put on another trial, which would have put me on more than two weeks, but I was one of the lucky few who weren't selected for the panel. ;)

Now i just await my reimbursement...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Military Police only Brent lol!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.