Remote Managing a Mac Mini Server

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to remote manage a newly set up Mac Mini running Server Version 10.7.3 (1.3.1) from my Mac Book Pro.

The Server connects fine to my WIFI (I'm using a time capsule). I've installed Lion Server (same version as above) on the Mac Book Pro. When I get to connect to the Server I can pick it off the "Choose a Mac" option but when I enter the Administrator Password and User name for the server its just tries to connect without ever doing so.

Totally new to networking on this level so excuse the stupid questions but what am I doing wrong? Is this to do with static IP addresses etc?

Any help greatly appreciated

C

chas_m

I'm a little confused about why you think you need to run Lion Server on both machines, but in any event it sounds to me like either both machines are named the same thing, or there's a port issue somewhere. Be sure the firewall is OFF on both machines.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks Chas, I really liked your article on switching to Macs by the way. I was just following the instructions in Mini Server Manual which said you need Server running on both. How would you do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You don't need server running on both to manage a mini server,

You need Server Tools running on the client machine (the MacBook Pro)

Apple - Support - Downloads Admin Tools

Admin Tools just lets you run the server admin stuff from a remote macvhine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.