Mail

Reaction score
I have an account on gmail that I have had way before I got this Mac. Since this new Mac I use the mail icon instead of directly going to gmail as I used to do. Having said that, is there a check box I can check that will let me know when a particular mail ( that I sent ) has been read ?

Thanks ;
fredconk
:[

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have an account on gmail that I have had way before I got this Mac. Since this new Mac I use the mail icon instead of directly going to gmail as I used to do. Having said that, is there a check box I can check that will let me know when a particular mail ( that I sent ) has been read ?

Thanks ;
fredconk
:[

"Read Receipts" are what you're referring to - and they are not a standard feature of most email accounts. The feature was popularized with Microsoft Exchange and Outlook, but it is proprietary and not something that is built into standard mail protocols. So, the only time it works is when you're a user of a system that supports it and you're communicating with a similarly configured user. That, in a nutshell, makes it ineffective, unless all of your interaction is with users in the same company (which is the scenario in which it's most frequently implemented and actively used).

Mail can be made to work with read receipts, but it's not a reliable feature since it will only work if the recipient's mail client supports the function.

Much more information is available here:

Read receipts in Gmail - a knol by Joshua Slive

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you CWA 107 I see what you are saying and can understand also. You're right about the other party NOT having the same kind of interaction with mail. There are tons of mail programs out there these days and more than likely only 1 out of 20 will probably be able to recognize what mail is asking. Thanks for your reply it was very inform able .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.