How to Hide pictures on iPhoto

Reaction score
I have a few pictures on iPhoto (think husband deployed) that I do not want to pop up when i open it, is there anyway to hide them? Or do i just need to delete them?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have a few pictures on iPhoto (think husband deployed) that I do not want to pop up when i open it, is there anyway to hide them? Or do i just need to delete them?

No way that I know of to ensure total privacy with iPhoto. You have several options.

1) Create a separate iPhoto library for your private pictures transfer them to that and then delete from original library and be sure to empty iPhoto trash. You can do this with iPhoto alone, but iPhotoLibraryManager is to me an essential add on and makes managing multiple iPhoto libraries a breeze.
2) Create an encrypted Disk Image (useful for keeping any information you want to secure, bank passwords, correspondence etc). Again, delete and empty trash afterwards on old library
3) Create a separate user account and turn on FileVault for that account. Realize that catastrophic data loss is a real potential for this option, so don't store anything there you couldn't replace or really can't afford to lose.

There are other options, but any of these could serve your purpose
In any case, you should have and maintain a backup strategy against catastrophic disk failures

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
That is one of the things I love about this forum. I am constantly learning new things. I admit that I don't use iPhoto (Aperture instead) but I did not know this option existed.
Thanks for the linked article.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.