Macbook Pro seems to be sending a lot of data...

ljb

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to Macs, and was hoping to have my fears allayed (or confirmed, as the case may be), regarding an issue which is kind of freaking me out at the moment. I have a 6 month old Macbook Pro, connected via wireless DSL router to the Internet, with no other networking connections. I've noticed that when I inspect my network traffic in the Activity Monitor, my sent data always seems to be about half of the received (total and rate). For instance, I was just downloading a 2 GB TV episode from iTunes, and 1 GB of data was apparently sent during the process, with no other applications (that I know of) running. This seems very high to me. I noticed a similar ratio when I tested watching a Youtube video (in Firefox), and when connected wired. Also, I notice that someties recently when downloading from iTunes, the download slows down noticeably after the first ~100 MB or so. Is this indicative of some kind of virus or malware? I have Trend Micro SmartSurfing and antivirus, and it doesn't seem to find anything wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Trend Micro is what's slowing you down. Since there are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac, and only several trojans which can easily be avoided by staying away from bad sites, there is no need for AV software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.