iphone 4 power button, front camera not working

Reaction score
hi cool person who is reading this, i did something stupid... maybe

What Happened?

so... my out of warranty iPhone 4 power button stopped functioning all of a sudden and it also no longer made that "click" when pressed.

What Did I Do?

I decided to open up the phone and bonded a very very small washer to the bottom of the power button. I tried this and it didn't work, probably because my washer was a bit too big, i filed it down a bit, still didn't work, so I just put it back together. seen here at 4:30: iPhone 4 power button - The Computer Room Nottingham

After Reassembly, this happened:

• power button still does not work, and doesn't "click"
  • iPhone camera app shutter does not open and the bottom right "camera/video" icons just flicker, I've concluded this is because of the front camera not working.
  • the ear speaker for phone calls is now "crackly".
  • I noticed my WiFi and network signal isn't as strong, maybe a bar less on WiFi and a bar or 2 less on network.

Temporary solutions:

A walk around camera fix is that i installed "camera plus pro" and this allows me to take photos and video. If I switch to the front camera it freezes, again confirming the front camera is not working.

What should I do next?

So I obviously did something when i took my phone apart and put it back together. I did open it up again and confirmed that all the flex cables and connections were seated properly.

I ordered these parts from eBay:

1. Power Button
  2. Power Button Flex Cable
  3. Back Camera Lens With Flex Ribbon Cable

Feedback

If anyone has any ideas, feedback, suffers from the same problem, please feel welcome to continue the discussion. I will be posting a reply after I receive my parts from eBay also.

C

chas_m

You don't say where you are, but Apple generally charges a flat rate for out-of-warranty iPhone replacement. Depending on the model it will cost around $300.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.