How to partition the ipad 2?

Reaction score
I would like to synch .VOB files onto my ipad so I can show them off to the people in my life, namely, Mom, and my friends. I've d/l itunes for Windows XP, but when I try to synch stuff to my ipad from one of my XP machines, it wants to wipe out the whole itunes stuff (photos, pdf's, etc) that I've already synched to the ipad from my MBP. So I'm thinking of partitioning off part of the ipad's 64 GB memory into maybe a 20 GB partition so windows will not ask me if I want to wipe out my whole itunes library that I had synched from my mac, so how can I partition off part of the ipad's RAM?

Thanks in advance.

Also, how do you check the ipad to see how much memory space is filled vs free?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can't partition the iPad since you have no access to the filesystem.

If you want to check free space, go to Settings > General > About.

C

chas_m

This is the most "I don't get the whole iPad thing" post I've ever read on here (no disrespect intended). It's not a flash drive extension of your computer, or just a media player.

Simply put, you're thinking of iOS as being similar to Windows. It's not. While many of the same bits and parts are involved, it's using an entirely different paradigm that is not like Windows (or even Mac). One that doesn't involve the user having access to the filesystem. At all. While nerds may find that annoying, they are missing the point badly. Removing access to the filesystem is, as it turns out, what makes the iPad so enjoyable to most people.

To use a bad analogy, MOST drivers almost never take a look under the hood of their car (and wouldn't know what they were looking at if they did). They just get in and drive it 99% of the time. The iPad is a bit like a car with a sealed hood/bonnet, but that's because there will not be any need to get under the hood in the expected lifespan of the car. :)

As for the syncing thing, the iPad is generally "tied" to one computer and that's that. You sync from that one. If you have stuff on a different machine, you'll need to move it to the "base" machine for the iPad to be able to use it.

Second: VOB files are HUGE. You are wasting an ENORMOUS amount of your iPad's limited storage space on that. Convert those files to MP4 so they'll play in the included Videos app. I am sure there are several utilities that can batch-convert files at night so you can simply sync in the morning and have way more videos available on your iPad.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
Second: VOB files are HUGE. You are wasting an ENORMOUS amount of your iPad's limited storage space on that. Convert those files to MP4 so they'll play in the included Videos app. I am sure there are several utilities that can batch-convert files at night so you can simply sync in the morning and have way more videos available on your iPad.

I just converted a .VOB file into a Mp4 (mpeg4) file and now I'd like to synch it to my ipad. How do I do this - the same way I do with .pdf's?

Also, how to I crop an mpeg4 file on an ipad so I'll have only the part of the video I want to watch/show my friends (and pick what part of this video I want to keep)?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Add it to iTunes and sync the iPad. Make sure that videos are set to sync in iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I gather Dropbox is another option for getting stuff onto your iPad if you're not at your base computer.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I gather Dropbox is another option for getting stuff onto your iPad if you're not at your base computer.

Another vote for Dropbox. Use it all the time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can get it here for free. You'll need to install it on both your Mac and iPad. That means you'll need to download the OS X and iOS versions.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
I just d/l dropbox, the free kindle reader (for ipad) and bought a kindle book from Amazon.com, but somehow I cannot get these to show up on my ipad. My ipad still has 58 GB of free space on it. How do I get these to show up on my ipad?

I have the ipad connected to the usb slot of my mac via its synch/transfer cable that came with it when I bought the ipad.

er, i've just discovered that i need a dropbox acc't. do i have to use my real name? I'd rather use my nickname such as "AlienBZ" or "AlienKelyye" can I use this instead of my real name? and are there any fees involved (i hope not)?

also i cannot find this kindle book anywhere either on my mac nor in my ipad - where do I look?

EDIT - I just discovered how to get kindle app and this kindle book onto my ipad - am skimming thu the footnotes at the end of this book. thanks anyway.

OP
AlienBZ
Reaction score
About that .vob file from a movie I mentioned before - I just synched it onto my ipad just now, after having converted it to mp4 format. still have gobs, gobs, and gobs of free space on ipad. :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.