Issue with USB devices on bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been looking through this forum a lot and it has helped me a lot over the years.usually I have no problem finding answers on here but I am stumped this time. I tried searching but frankly I dont even know how to describe the problem in short form. so I am asking for help, thanks in advance:

I have a early 2011, 13" Macbook pro, i7 running osx 10.7 and windows 7 professional on bootcamp. recently I have been having a problem ejecting usb devices when running windows 7. it seems that my Macs USB controller has become associated with a shadow device that windows calls SGH-T959.

this is where it gets weird, SGH-T959 is the name of an android phone (samsung galaxy t-959) of a friend of mine that I helped him fix a little while ago. but windows thinks that its a printer?

now I cant eject any usb device from my computer without ejecting that sgh-t959 thing and it also ejects my keyboard, touchpad, wifi antenna, and everything else except my monitor!

any work around? or solutions? again thanks in advance. I will post any screen shots if necessary.

PS I also notticed that the little bootcamp icon is not showing up in my quick icons anymore.

again thanks for your help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know how familiar you are with Windows and its inner workings.....

Hardware devices are enumerated and "remembered" in Windows in several places. One is the Registry, the other is that it will show up in the hardware tree. Let's try the hardware tree first.

Open Control Panel, click on System. Doing this from memory so I may have left out some steps..... Anyway, open the Hardware Device Manager and it should display the hardware tree. In other words, all the devices that Windows "sees".

Try to find the SGH-T959 in that tree. If you find it, do a right click and select remove or disable. That should stop it from showing up. If it doesn't appear in the hardware tree, you can probably dig it out from the Registry but that takes more work and is difficult to do without the right tools. And I don't recommend messing with the Registry as it can blue screen Windows if you make a mistake.

Maybe someone else has a better suggestion so stay tuned. Let us know.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Wow!!!! thanks for the fast reply, I knew the community on this forum would help me rock this one, I really appreciate it!!!

Funnyly (made up word) enough I did think of this first yesterday. I figured i couldnt do it while I had the device connected, and I knew that while not connected the device would be hidden from the USB list. so I followed the instructions posted here:

Uninstall Drivers from Vista & Windows 7

to add a view hidden items options to the view menu in device manager. I removed the driver for the android device but it didnt help.

here are some screen shots of what i have in my USB device list.

pr1.png
pr2.png

pr3.png

here are some other pictures to give some further context:

here is the "device" in devices and printers, it seems to be broken (yellow triangle) but troubleshooting does nothing. windows seems to think it is a printer.

sght959.png

here is my HD (goflex) listed under files. you can also see that it has a keyboard, mouse, etc listed under it.

2-1.png

and here you can see the remove hardware right click screen, you can see my harddrive greyed out under it.

3-1.png

I have also tried the 3rd party program USB Disk Ejector, but it also doesnt help.

Thanks again for the quick response and further help. I really appreciate it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I approved your post. Our forum filters moderated it because of all the images.

Anyway, I hope someone has a solution for you. As I stated above, you can try to dig it out of the Registry if you can. But you'll need a good registry search engine as the one in Windows 7 is the same as all the previous versions which take hours to find something.

OP
Z
Reaction score
thanks for your help. after searching my registry I cant find any trace of the driver. any other suggestions? anyone else face something similar?

thanks for your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you search the Registry for "SGH-T959"? There has to be an enumeration of it in the Registry if it's appearing in the Hardware Tree (device manager).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.