Need Help Confuguring AVG Free so it will update again...?

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't pretend to be tech-savvy when it comes to networking but with some phone help I was able to network with my son's PC.

The only snag is that on the PC, AVG Free edition was used to updating itself via the dial-up connection.

Now that the Mac is the one which primarily dials-up, AVG tries to update then reports that it can't find a dial tone.

I had a poke about in the setting and figured out that maybe it needs to be re-configured to update through the Mac. I can see that the other update option after dial-up is through a proxy server.....

Should I enter the ISP address of my Mac into the AVG text box and would that then allow it to update itself once again....???

Thanks in advance for all tips and advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I'd suggest trying the forums over at the AVG site.

I'm not sure your proxy idea will work. My undestanding on proxy servers are that it is software on a box that does more than simply pass your requests out. The Mac in your case is acting more like a gateway, which does just pass your request out from the PC.

Anyway, I'd just try all of the options except the dial out one which is telling Windows to do the dialing via an attached modem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.