Some Virtualization Problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i5 3.1GHz/12GB RAM/1GB 6970
I am currently working on a network project where I have to run 2 instances of Server 2008r2 x64 through vmware fusion.

Now I have three problems:
1. How do I get both virtual machines to run on the same network? On Vmware workstation (Windows version) you'd simply put them on a vmnet, but there is no such option on fusion.

2. I NEED to install hyper-V to run virtualized services and vmware v-sphere on the servers so that one os can serve as a distribution server for unattended installation (and is also a domain controller) and the other, running v-sphere will be hosting client sessions of Windows 7, so that thin clients can access the os (basically a cloud computing scenario). There is one problem stopping me from completing this task however, and that is this:
5lB0y.png

I'm pretty sure that my i5-2400 has this feature. How do I enable it?

3. I need to give demonstrations on vmware workstation, are vm's created in fusion compatible with the windows counterpart?

Peace.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't believe you're going to be able to do it in a virtual Fusion session. And, to be quite frank... I don't think it would work even from a dual boot scenario using the Boot Camp Assistant.

I may be wrong and perhaps one of our more informed network experts can chime in here with an idea.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well back on the windows systems at college I can successfully run 2xwindows servers, one being a domain controller, the other one for RRAS/replication services and a windows 7 VM all under the same domain by simply putting the network adapters in the same vmnet of which there are 8. I really can't understand why this is so complicated on vmware. I tried virtual box too and it's the same!

I didn't want to "infect" (Excuse the fanboy remark) my iMac with windows, but I might just dual boot windows 7 just to use vmware workstation 8.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I didn't want to "infect" (Excuse the fanboy remark) my iMac with windows, but I might just dual boot windows 7 just to use vmware workstation 8.

That might be your only resolution. But as I stated above, someone else who knows more about it than I do may chime in with a solution. In any event, let us know....

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well just installed w7 and vmworkstation. Put the virtual machines running over vmnet2 and everything works just fine. Hyperv still wont install but I found a way around it. I still don't understand why vmware fusion sucks so bad compared to workstation.

2012-04-17_2305 - mCrem's library

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.