How to share an internet connection via wireless

U

ultimatedave

Hi, everyone please forgive my stupid question -
I currently have two macs
-g3 powerbook laptop (ethernet, firewire and usb)
-G5 tower desktop
one NTL ethernet/usb broadband modem and an old hp advancestack hub-8U.
The question is how do I set up a wireless connection between my laptop and the modem so my dad can share the internet with the g5 anywhere in the house?? Its a bit beyond me, any advice would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Buy a $40 broadband router.

OP
U

ultimatedave

Thanks, any particular brand you'd advise? or will the cheapest do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Linksys or Netgear should do fine,...If there's more $$$ in the budget you'll get what you pay for if you know what I mean. Less is less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Does that Powerbook have a built in wireless card? If not, then you'll also want to do some research on compatible wireless cards for the G3 Powerbook. If your dad is running OS X then your options go up. The problem is, there seem to be no third party PC cards marketed for the Mac, that also do the latest WPA encryption.

xlr8yourmac has some info and a search at macosxhints brings up some recent decussions on the subject.

For xlr8yourmac.com see the networking link on the page; http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/faq.lasso

Here is a list of cards said to work; http://home.earthlink.net/~metaphyzx/Wireless.htm

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.