Some questions from a newbie

Reaction score
I am 95% likely to buy an iMac in the next refresh.

One thing I want to do is manage my photos. I have a load of them all over the place. I want to pull them together and tag them properly. I also want to perform some minor corrections. Now, I will be running the Mac on a Windows network with the photos stored on a server. Will iPhoto do everything I want and will it manage the photos in such a way that other devices can view them?

My wife has expressed an interest in getting into photography as a hobby. She has a good eye and so I am thinking of buying her an entry level SLR or similar. Is doing that should I look at getting something like Aperture?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
For managing photos you can easily use iPhoto, although you would need to make it point to a server storage rather than locally on your Mac. IUf you find that iPhoto is not your cup of tea, then Google's Picassa is a good alternative.

But as you say, for photography at home then Aperture would be a better bet.

AS for file formats there is no special format that iPhoto uses that is not that PC users cannot access

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.