Can't get Mac, other wireless devices to see/connect to Airport Exterme!

dfa

Reaction score
OK, I'm new to the forum and have looked around to see if this issue has been addressed. It has in parts, but nothing I've seen has worked for me. I'm not a network guy by any stretch of the imagination, so forgive my ignorance on advanced topics.

My network consists of Cablevision Scientific Atlanta Webstar cable modem connected to an Airport Extereme 802.11n base station via an ethernet cable. I have a iMac running OSX 10.5.8 (yes I know I am overdue to update), a first gen Ipad, and Iphone4, and Brother printer running off wifi. Everything has worked beautifully for a few years until the other day, when all of sudden there was internet on the iMac. I checked and there was no wifi from the Airport unit. So, I powered everthing off, let it sit for about an hour, then came back. I first powered up the modem (looked good), then the Airport (looked good, green light), then the iMac (looked good). After this, it still did show my network. It did show the other neighborhood network and I connected to an unsecure network to browse for clues, forums, etc. I ran diagnostics with Cablevision, and do know that the modem works (we plugged it directly into the back of the iMac), and it does seem that the connection from the modem to the Airport works. For whatever reason, it seems like something is amiss with the settings for the Airport or the iMac that prevent them from speaking with each other. I tried a soft reset and a factory restore on the Airport. The soft reset did nothing, the factory restore got me about 1/2 hour where everything was talking again, then it went dead overnight last night. I've again tried the factory restore and renamed the Airport and the network. The best I can get is the iMac seeing it, but when prompted for a password, it gives a "connection timed out" error. Also, the Ipad and Iphone can see the network but when I connect to it, no data is transferred. VERY FRUSTRATING!!!

I'm not sure if this is just a simple setting or a real issue...anyone out there have an answer???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Routers, even Airports, go bad. Sounds like it went bad. If under warranty, exchange/get it fixed, if not, sounds like a new router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Electronics break, it just happens. Besides, if you used the old one for "years" a new one will be noticeably faster for streaming across multiple devices and such. My Airport Extreme (new in November) has been awesome.

OP
D

dfa

Reaction score
Wierd, after trying again, the Ipad and Iphone can now connect for the moment, but I still get a "connection timeout" error when trying to log on via the iMac. That makes me think there is something in the settings between the iMac and the Airport...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.