Express issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
I have a fairly new (1 month) old Airport Express. Until recently the signal strength has usually been at its max, especially given that I am less than two feet from the router 90% of the time. Yesterday it started giving me serious trouble. I sometimes get as low as 4/15 bars. Not getting full two feet from the router is utterly ridiculous, but getting 4/15 makes this thing essentially completely useless for its intended purpose, given that if I moved 10 feet away it would basically give me nothing. Any suggestions, or should I just take this back to Apple?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Are you sure there's not interference somewhere?

Make sure it's not anywhere near cordless phones, microwaves, or any other wireless device.

Secondly, try changing the channel that the Airport Express is operating on and see if that helps.

OP
Meyvn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Any interference would have to be completely new and unexpected, because I actually made it a point to unplug my cordless phone and I double checked to make sure my wireless mouse (which is 27 MHz anyway) wasn't interfering. The microwave has been off this entire time, too. Channel was on automatic before, and I tried switching it to 7. It stayed at full power for about two minutes before it went back down again, and jumped around a bit. It's currently at full, and for the moment it seems to be staying that way. I guess I'll see how long it lasts. I did, however, also lower the multicast rate from 11 to 5.5, and turned OFF interference robustness on the router (it helped zilch before, enabled or disabled on the AE card.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
Radio Frequency interference can come from anywhere. unless you live on a farm in the middle of nowhere, i would say that there is interference. i recently had this problem with my ibook and linksys router. i changed the channel and it is fine now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Maybe your neighbor is Alexander Graham Bell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.