Battery Backup System for iMac

A

automator

I'm looking for a good UPS for my iMacs. I need one for an iMac G4 15" 800Mhz, and an iMac G5 20" 2.1GHz with built-in iSight. They are both in different locations so I will need to buy one for each. I will only be using the UPS to plug in the computers and nothing else. I just need a battery backup system so I will have time to turn my computers off, in the event of a power failure. I rarely ever leave them unattended and always turn them off when i'm done using them so auto shutdown software compatibility isn't really a conern. I just need a Backup Battery System. Particularly, i'm looking for an APC UPS. Can anyone recommend a good model? Also, does anybody know how much the theoritical maximum power draw for each of the aforementioned iMacs? I think the iMac G5 20" has a theoretical maximum of 180watts but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm this?

OP
B

Badger

I have 2 APC "Office 280" models. One is for an iMac Rev D and the other is on an eMac. I use them for exactly what you want, time to save and shutdown gracefully. They have six sockets; 2 are protected by the UPS (total of 280 watts, hence the name), the others are surge protected only. You get (I think) 9 minutes of battery power. The newer one has a USB socket for shutdown software that works with OS X. They are also self-testing and will beep if the battery is no longer good. The older is 8 years old, the newer 5. Both have performed the way they are supposed to and I've never had a problem with either.
According to Apple the power draw for the G4 iMac 15" is 130 watts and the G5 20" is 180.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.