DSLR hunting... It's on!

Reaction score
hey everyone I have been considering buying a pro-sumer type of dslr camera.
I just don't know which brand to go with Nikon or Canon I looked up one comparison and still didn't really help me heres the link
Canon vs Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Anyway I feel like siding with Nikon since I heard that they do well in dim light conditions.
Again thats whats I've heard compared to a canon.
What i focus on using it for is Landscape photography family events parties like birthdays baptism etc. pictures of the moon and night sky (i live on the 24th floor so I think thats an advantage for me. And most importantly taking photos and videos of my family in mexico hopefully by the end of may.
I just want to know which brand should I side with I was looking at the nikon models D7000 and D300S.
Lastly I want to know if the photos or videos will give me a hard time to transfer them to iPhoto on my macbook pro lion operating system for reference.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Moved post to more appropriate forum

EDIT: I'm an enthusiast, not an expert, but I think you would be far better served by looking at an entry level DSLR. Nikon models 3100 or 5100 or one of the Canon Digital Rebels.

OP
R
Reaction score
I feel like the pricier ones are better than the entry ones? or would I be wrong?
Besides that I know what you mean just work my way up but the thing is I plan on using this camera a lot so thats why I feel like getting the mid range ones.
But I will take your advice into consideration =D

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Your real investment is in lenses. The advantages of going with an entry level is lower price, ease of use and often size and weight.

I shoot a Nikon D5000 and it has the full range of manual features, plus a menu system that is geared more toward those making the transition from P&S to a DSLR. The only thing it lacks that the prosumer models has is weather sealing and metal body, and ability to use older legacy lenses.

I will eventually add a prosumer body to my kit, but for now my D5000 does all (and more) than I need. My reccommendation FWIW is start with a D5100 kit, add a good tripod, flash and begin to build your lens kit. By the time the D5100 body begins to limit what you can do they ought to be out with the D9000 Prosumer body and by then you'll know enough to know what you really need/want.

The D7000 is a GREAT camera. But for the price of the body alone you can get a decent D5100 kit that will take pics every bit as good as the D7000.

Just my opinion FWIW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Getting good glass cannot be understated.
If you spend $1000 on a DX lens it will work with all Nikon DX cameras they sell (Nikon as example here). Same with FX lenses and FX Bodies.
So if you ever plan to upgrade the camera, your nice lens will still work beautifully!

DX = Cropped sensor. Multiplies lens mm's by x1.5. So a 18-200mm becomes a 27-300mm.
FX = Full frame sensor. Usually more expensive, and usually used by landscape photographers.

If you do get a Nikon DX, skip the kit lens and get the Nikkor 18-200mm. It is a very qualified all purpose/travel lens that covers a huge zoom range. It will probably be all you ever need. I have it and love it.

The Nikon D5100 shares the same awesome sensor of the D7000. So the picture quality will be the same if you are using it correctly ;)
The only thing I didn't like on the D5100 and which is why I went for the D7000 is that a lot of common settings are placed in menus. On the D7000, press a button and rotate the command dial and you're done. On the D5100 you have to look at the back screen and navigate some menus to change them.

If you don't know about DPReview already Digital Photography Review
Awesome site to get unbiased reviews of cameras and lenses.

For another trustworthy Nikon reviewer, Nikon Digital Camera and Photography Articles by Thom Hogan

Careful what you read by KenRockwell.com He likes to contradict himself a lot :p

C

chas_m

I'm more of a Canon person, I have nothing against Nikon (used to use a D70s) but I always found the menus and controls too "fiddly" -- I like to be able to shoot a picture 10 seconds after I "see a shot," from getting the camera out of the case to snap. So I've had better luck with Canons because I'm so familiar with them -- I can set the mode and exposure in a flash (ha!).

Today's entry-level DSLRs are IMO yesterday's mid-level ones, so I think the entry-level cameras are pretty good. If you can afford it of course go for the mid-level, but expect to spend a lot supporting your "habit" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
If you do get a Nikon DX, skip the kit lens and get the Nikkor 18-200mm. It is a very qualified all purpose/travel lens that covers a huge zoom range. It will probably be all you ever need. I have it and love it.

+1 for this lens. Get that, and the 50mm F1.8 prime and you'll be set!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I started digital photography with a Nikon D3100 - great camera and reasonably inexpensive - leaving more money for lenses (although I found the 18-55 kit lens perfectly acceptable). An 18-200 is a great lens for travelling though as it would cover most situations you'd want to shoot and means you wouldn't need to change lenses. I have also used my sister's Canon EOS 550D and it was great.

Find a camera shop that will let you try out different models (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Sony, etc.) so you can find out which is best for you to hold (important if you're taking it on holiday and will be using it frequently) and use. Prosumer cameras like the D300 can be heavy to lug around all day. I haven't held the D7000 so wouldn't know.

Don't get hung up on or seduced by megapixels.

All in all, I would echo Razormac's comments and check out entry level models from Nikon or Canon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
What Nicky says here is wise. Go to a pro camera shop if you can, and hold different models in your hands to get a feel for what you'll be lugging around all day. Make sure to give the menu system an exhaustive check as well. There's nothing worse than trying to get a shot and then realizing that you have to dig into the menu system in order to change something fairly basic.

This is why I love my camera, all the controls I'll ever need are at my fingertips. Even when my eye is on the viewfinder, my fingers know where the controls are so I don't have to take my eye away.

As for zoom vs prime lenses, I will tell you for sure that not all zooms are made equally and you're going to pay for that.

If we're talking Nikon:The 18-200 was mentioned, and while it's an ok lens in terms of weight and range, it's not exactly a very "exciting" lens in terms of contrast or tonality. IMO it has very little personality and is mostly good for snap shots. It also can suffer from zoom "creep" which can be utterly annoying.

Want a great zoom? Save for the 24-70 It will be heavier, but if it's image quality you're looking for, this is the beast that will fulfill that need. The 50 1.8 was also mentioned, and while I agree that for the money it is a great lens, you also have to remember that this is not really a 50mm lens when paired with a crop sensor. It's more like 75mm. This would be great for head shots and such, but isn't really a typical street lens.

I'd rather suggest that one get a 24 or 28mm lens if the intention is to have a normal street range view. And maybe try a 35mm to get a slightly tighter crop. It really depends upon how and what you like to shoot. You can actually rent lenses (borrowlenses.com) for very cheap and get a great idea of what you'd prefer. That sure beats buying something and then figuring out months later that you've wasted your cash.

You might also consider buying used. I buy used lenses all the time. I use KEH.com, Adorama or BHphoto for that stuff.

Nicky is also right about the D300 being a bit heavy to lug around all day (I have this camera) especially with good prime glass. This is why I'm looking around for a replacement for street shooting and non studio work. Personally, I'm looking into some of the newer mirrorless cameras. The Sony NEX 5N is at the top of my list right now because from what I've seen thus far, it offers the best compromise between focusing speed (manual as well) image quality and high ISO/low light noise. It's also quite minimilistic so won't be a burden to carry around all day.

Have more to comment on, but have to leave for work, so more later I guess..

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Want a great zoom? Save for the 24-70 It will be heavier, but if it's image quality you're looking for, this is the beast that will fulfill that need. The 50 1.8 was also mentioned, and while I agree that for the money it is a great lens, you also have to remember that this is not really a 50mm lens when paired with a crop sensor. It's more like 75mm. This would be great for head shots and such, but isn't really a typical street lens.

Ah, a lens from my dream set.
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8G $2,185.00 MSRP
Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G $2,399.95 MSRP
Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G $2,399.95 MSRP

$6984.9… anyone want to gift a bushwhacker some money? :p
Haven't noticed any zoom creep on my 18-200. Maybe I got lucky :)

Not to hijack the thread, but what bags/backpacks do you use Doug? I'm having the hardest time finding something functional.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Not to hijack the thread, but what bags/backpacks do you use Doug? I'm having the hardest time finding something functional.

Ah, the never ending quest for the perfect camera bag! I think that every photographer in the world, is in the same boat. I've never been perfectly satisfied with any of the sling packs, backpacks that I've owned. I think that the trick is to carry as little as possible at all times. This would entail knowing exactly what you'll need for the shoot in the first place.

I don't carry extra lenses if I don't have to, nor my speedlights for that matter. It also depends on my mood. If I'm doing street shooting, I know that I need a 35mm equivalent as well as a portrait lens and I'll go back and forth between them. I generally love using my 105mm and my 35. They'd be better suited for full frame, but whatcha gonna do?

I currently own an Thinktank Streetwalker HD which I use when going on trips and such and it's fine since I can also put my MacBook Pro in it as well. It's actually pretty comfy, but I wouldn't want to take all my stuff all the time. My back stinks!

Recently, I bought a new bag from.... Ikea of all places! It's a really cool bag that has two separate pieces which zip into one another, and both pieces have backpack straps. The bigger piece has wheels and an arm handle for pulling. It can be used as a carry on piece for airplanes, so is absolutely perfect to carry all ones camera gear. I took the liberty of gutting the bigger piece, and then taking the divider insert from my ThinkTank bag and putting it in the Ikea one. It's not done yet, but should work really well when I'm finished. All I had to do was get professional grade velcro with adhesive and all is good.

7065029617_1c8de83890_z.jpg

6918952724_9ea0d7a005_z.jpg

6918955156_f055a552e7_z.jpg

7065035731_af1fee0fa1_z.jpg

7065037147_73f9bcbdc4_z.jpg

6918960846_b7721b56ee_z.jpg

7065042821_ccdbc3140c_z.jpg

What also helps a GREAT deal, is that piece you see on the right shoulder strap which locks my D300 into place. It can be fastened on pretty much anything, including a belt, so you can have two of these in case you want to switch it from your shoulder to your waste. It is called the Capture Clip by Peak Design. Capture Camera Clip System by Peak Design - Wear your DSLR camera on any backpack strap or belt. I got it when Peter was still trying to get things started on Kickstarter.com for about $50 which was an amazing deal. It's one of the first camera accessories I've bought that I have had zero regrets about.

That Ikea bag has no problems holding these lenses and my speedlights.

6918966704_975dec9521.jpg

A google search will lead to to many review sites but the one I liked best was Steves Digicams - Digital Camera Reviews, Camera News, and Photography Information for very well written reviews.

I used to like Steve's reviews. But he doesn't put much into them in the way of real world uses. It's always the same old subject matter, same drab old everything. I much prefer hanging out at Steve Huff's website. He loves going out and shooting, and only ever shows real world situations with every lens and camera he reviews. No bias either, since he just loves to shoot. My kind of guy. Steve Huff Photos - Real World Digital Camera And Lens Reviews

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The Think's a great bag. Just to offer up the one that I use (which is really far more 'adventure' / wildlife / landscape specific).. the F-Stop Loka. Loka

I REALLY love this bag. It's more a frame pack than a camera bag in many ways. It's also VERY flexible, with multiple insert sizes. The only issue I've had is that F-Stop is rapidly growing, so delivery was a bit sluggish. The service, however, has been great.

loka_whitebg.jpg

OP
R
Reaction score
Wow you guys have been very informative and supportive and I really do appreciate that you guys. Sorry I didn't answer right away yeah I've been told the lenses are key and not to focus on the megapixels. I heard that they are making new models for Nikon cameras so I think I might hold out. And yeah one of my friends recommended the starter camera. He actually recommended a Canon rebel. Anyway He told me he would take me to an adorama to check out the cameras and since he knows a little bit about cameras he should give me some insight. I just thought about getting the mid level ones because I assumed that the ISO range would be higher and more capable than the lower end models. Since I do plan on recording videos at night in mexico where there is barely any light at times depending where you are at. (Or am i wrong about this assumption?)
Heres one website saying they are releasing a new camera the Nikon D3200 (successor to the D3100
Nikon D3200 DSLR with WiFi connectivity rumored for April launch | Ubergizmo
another link talking about it
Nikon D3200 coming soon with a 24MP sensor | Nikon Rumors
Anyway agan thanks for the information I'll be sure to re read it later on so i can soak everything up that way i can be more well rounded. One last thing do new models come out around this time or around next year. I forgot where i read it but I heard they were also making a new D7000 like upgraded but I think they took it down from the nikonrumors.com site either because it was false or something. Anyway let me know if anything else and I'll let you know what I'll get when I buy it. If you have any other tips or info I should know im all ears or in this case eyes.
take care guys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.