Newby Advice Needed

Reaction score
Hi Guys

First post so please be patient with me.

OK,I use a PC for creating music,I mainly play guitar over pre recorded backing tracks,Shadows and easy listening stuff.

I was going to change to an iMac so I can use Logic 9,I used Logic when it was not Apple specific.

I have a lot of stuff on the PC that I think will transfer to the Mac,Guitar Rig Pro 5 - Amplitube 3 -M-Audio Profire 610 Interface.

Problem is I have Universal Audio plugins which uses a card in the PC,is there any way of using this on a Mac?

I was als wondering what use I would have for an iPad,then I saw a demo of Garageband on youtube and if I got one for nothing else that is a super toy to have.

OK,your thoughts appreciated good or bad.

I am waiting for the new iMacs to be released before jumping in so there should be plenty of time for me to decide what to do.

Thanks

Alan

C

chas_m

Problem is I have Universal Audio plugins which uses a card in the PC,is there any way of using this on a Mac?

Where would you put it? The iMac doesn't have any card slots.

Have you checked with the vendor of Universal Audio plugins to see what they offer for the Mac? Very few music or audio production companies are PC-only.

I was als wondering what use I would have for an iPad,then I saw a demo of Garageband on youtube and if I got one for nothing else that is a super toy to have.

Only you can answer that, really. I find that all my "leisure computing" was being done on the iPad (I had the first one) and the "work" stuff was being done on the notebook. Now even that's starting to change, thanks to things like iPhoto and Pages for iOS (and Siri Dictation, which lets me dictate my e-mails, LOVE IT!).

I doesn't sound like you "need" an iPad, you just "want" an iPad. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but you'll probably want to focus on the software needed for the iMac first, then see where you are with the money ... ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 PPC Dual 2.0, OSX Leopard 10.5.8
UA works just fine on a mac. You just need to find out if your UAD card is compatible with the slots on your mac. For example: PCI or PCIE.

Hope this helps!

C

chas_m

UA works just fine on a mac. You just need to find out if your UAD card is compatible with the slots on your mac. For example: PCI or PCIE.

Hope this helps!

bcmusic: hello! Are you the people who do the podcasts?

Anyway, asimmd said he was switching to an iMac, not a Mac Pro, so he doesn't have any slots, which prompted my post.

Unless you know of a breakout box, there's no place for his card to reside.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.