iPhoto export - what happened?

Reaction score
Hi

New to mac, so bear with me..I just clicked export on an album in iPhoto and I think it just filled my remaining hard drive space. Last time I checked I had 20gb free. I realise I must have exported more than one photo as I hadn't selected one so it just took the whole album...confused as to why it's filled the hard drive.

I can find where the original photos are stored by using the 'reveal in finder' function, but it's not in any logical order to be able to look for duplicates?

I'm trying to avoid deleting all my photos stored in iPhoto and starting again.

So a couple of questions:
1) When you export does iPhoto create duplicates of files?
2) If so, how can I look for the duplicates?
3) Where does it put them?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Jon

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi

New to mac, so bear with me..I just clicked export on an album in iPhoto and I think it just filled my remaining hard drive space. Last time I checked I had 20gb free. I realise I must have exported more than one photo as I hadn't selected one so it just took the whole album...confused as to why it's filled the hard drive.

I can find where the original photos are stored by using the 'reveal in finder' function, but it's not in any logical order to be able to look for duplicates?

I'm trying to avoid deleting all my photos stored in iPhoto and starting again.

So a couple of questions:
1) When you export does iPhoto create duplicates of files?
2) If so, how can I look for the duplicates?
3) Where does it put them?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Jon

OP
J
Reaction score
being stupid....ignore me!

it's ok..I realised I just had a lot of trash (hanging head in newbie shame) causing my hard drive to fill up.

I also tried exporting one photo to see what happens. It goes in the pictures folder...so if I'd have exported loads they would have gone in there too! (more hanging head in newbie shame)

Will try harder next time!

OP
J
Reaction score
being stupid....ignore me!

it's ok..I realised I just had a lot of trash (hanging head in newbie shame) causing my hard drive to fill up.

I also tried exporting one photo to see what happens. It goes in the pictures folder...so if I'd have exported loads they would have gone in there too! (more hanging head in newbie shame)

Will try harder next time!

C

chas_m

Glad you sorted it out.

Exporting photos in iPhoto is actually a lot simpler than what you're doing. I generally create a new (empty) folder on the desktop. Then just select the pictures I want in iPhoto and drag them into the new folder (I have to add that in Lion you'll want to be outside "full screen mode" when doing something like this). This creates a copy of the pictures I wanted and leaves the "original" in iPhoto. When I'm done with whatever it was I wanted to do with the exported photos (burn a disc, email them, etc) I just trash the folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.