USB Internet on VMware Fusion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air 13" i7 256 - iPad2 Wifi 3G - iPhone 4 16GB and apple TV ;-)
Hi,
Newby on here and to macs.
I've got a nice new i7 256 MacBook Air running VmWare Fusion hosting a windows 7 machine.
The Mac and the VM machine both connect to the internet at the same time using wifi no problems, but when I use a vodafone USB dongle, the Vm Machine cannot see the web. Consiquently if I start the USB Dongle on the VM Machine the Mac cant see the web and I can only have it running on one at a time.
I've switched on internet sharing on the Mac, and Bridged the network connection in vmware but it's still not finding the web.

Any ideas???

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Starting the USB dongle within the guest OS and having it not show up on the host OS makes perfect sense since the NAT'ing or bridging only goes from host to guest and not the other way around..

In the VMWare network configuration, are you choosing the right interface to NAT over when you are using the USB Dongle?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air 13" i7 256 - iPad2 Wifi 3G - iPhone 4 16GB and apple TV ;-)
Thanks,
I can get it to work if it's set to NAT slaving from the host, but then when I'm in a wifi area wifi does not work until i switch it back to BRIDGED. and if you keep switching from one to another it starts to report a duplicate ip address.
Is there a way of having both?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.