missing wifi channels - depserate for help

Reaction score
Hi all,

have just attempted to change my wireless router to 5ghz frequency, it is significanlty faster for me than the 2.4. The only issue is on my 2011 macbook pro it appears that none of the available channels on the router (38, 40, 44, 48) are supported on my computer.

This seems really odd as I bought my laptop in John lewis a reputable UK dealer and so surely its a UK specific lappy and after some research it appears these 4 channels are the standard channels used in the UK.

Has anyone had this issue and figured a way round it or can you help?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The only issue is on my 2011 macbook pro it appears that none of the available channels on the router (38, 40, 44, 48) are supported on my computer.

How have you reached this conclusion?

How do you know these channels aren't supported? (they are)

It would help if you posted the version of OSX you're using and your router make and model.

OP
B
Reaction score
797051Screen Shot 2012-03-28 at 20.51.35.png

i went to about this mac and it shows all available channels.........

i have a virgin media netgear router.

thanks for your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The channels that are supported will vary by country locale. I'm in the US and channels 36, 40, 44, and 48 (among others) are supported but not channel 38.

As a matter of fact, my channel lineup of supported channels is different from yours in that I have some listed that you don't. And that's with a Mid 2011 iMac using Atheros firmware. Yours is using Broadcom.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.