• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Compressing with iDVD

B

blamb327

I created a movie project with iMovie and then "shared" it with iDVD to burn it to a DVD. Well, I kept getting the message that the project was too large and I needed a dual layer disk. I kept editing the project and then re-shared/updated it in iDVD. The original project was about 120 minutes (which the single layer DVD says it can hold). I had to edit the project down to about 55 minutes in order for it to burn. Is this standard? What software can I use on top of iDVD to make the compression tighter so that I can burn my 120 min project onto a single layer DVD? My roomie mentioned a program that is Windows exclusive so I am looking for MAC software that can do the job.

Am I doing something wrong? Also, it took a ton of time to decode the project (about an hour). I have a iMac G5 with 1.5 GB of RAM and plenty of hard drive storage. Is that length of time standard?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
In iDVD>Preferences>General are your encoder settings on Best Performance? If so, change it to Best Quality. I had the same issue last week and that did the trick for me. I found the help on the Apple discussion boards. There are a lot of helpful people there too...

And it took more time than that to decode my 115 minute project. I'm pretty sure it's normal, although I don't have as much RAM as you.

OP
B

blamb327

WasabiTaylor said:
In iDVD>Preferences>General are your encoder settings on Best Performance? If so, change it to Best Quality. I had the same issue last week and that did the trick for me. I found the help on the Apple discussion boards. There are a lot of helpful people there too...

And it took more time than that to decode my 115 minute project. I'm pretty sure it's normal, although I don't have as much RAM as you.

Thanks for the reply. I will check it out when I get home. I think I already chopped up the project, but maybe I can salvage it.

When you did change the setting did you notice a visual difference once you played back the end product on your DVD player (as in - was the quality still decent)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
The quality seems to still be quite good. Although, I can't really say for sure because not only was it my first project but the recording is of a school talent show, so the lighting and things of that sort aren't all that great to begin with. Either way, it did the job for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.