Backing up to a Network Drive Alternatives

Reaction score
I have a iosafe SoloPro1 TB external drive plugged into my Linksys WRT610 and want to access the drive from both Mac and PC. I recently upgraded to Lion before reading posts concerning Time Machine and network backup.

I thought a simple work around would be to clone the drive, but the router only recognizes FAT or NTSF file formats. Since I want to access it from both PC and Mac that only leaves FAT, but the 4 GB file size limitation will not allow me to clone my drive. I seem stuck.

I have the back-up drive in an obscure location (this is why I want to access the drive over the network) and would hate to relocate the drive to a more visible location.

I appreciate any suggestions.

OP
F
Reaction score
Updated

Ok so I solved my own problem. Since the disk is attached to router the disk format can be anything the router can read. So I reformatted the disk to NTFS and used Super Duper to clone my mac drive. If you pay for the upgraded Super Duper app it will only copy those files that have changed since the last cloning.

I now can continue to use my network storage drive to backup my Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.