wirelessly streaming to ps3/xbox?

Reaction score
I have no idea where to start or which area to post-my apologies if this is the wrong section.

I recently got a cisco DPC3825 router/modem.

I can't get the ps3/xbox to recognize any media servers.

Question: do I have to enable or check anything on my MAC to enable sharing? Maybe something I am missing?

I never had this problem when i lived in my other apartment with a different ISP/router/modem.

Thanks kindly.

OP
T
Reaction score
Nat2

I think its my router/modem which has something called NAT2 *shrug*,no idea what it is BUT seems this causes a conflict.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You could try using that device in bridge mode and using another router. What are you using for a wireless security protocol?

OP
T
Reaction score
You could try using that device in bridge mode and using another router. What are you using for a wireless security protocol?

I think thats the problem. Modem/router are together. No idea why its not set up differently when installed. Its beyond me.

I am waiting for a call back from my ISP. I can apparently have it "bridged". Thus I will go back to what I had in my last apartment. My own router dlink655 which worked fine streaming to ps3 etc.

Hope they can walk me through it.

Not sure where my router goes in the chain.

thanks for responding.

P.S not sure what u mean by security protocol sorry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I was just thinking you could try WPA instead of WPA 2 or vice versa, but I really think the bridging mode will get you on track!

OP
T
Reaction score
I was just thinking you could try WPA instead of WPA 2 or vice versa, but I really think the bridging mode will get you on track!

Thanks. I got the ISP to bridge. I was using my router dir655 and their modem. I was getting extremely slow speeds. Called. I am not sure what the ISP did but I power cycled the modem and I began to get acceptable speeds and could connect with xbox and ps3.

Fast forward an hour I guess......and now I can't connect wirelessly to my other devices, iphone and ipad?? I see my wireless user name and it looks like its connected (icons are showing in top left) but I can't get any data thru???

Any idea what this is or how to correct it?

I powered off/on and reset network settings on my devices and no luck.

My ISP must have done something...because it was working fine before I called them.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Are you connecting to your old router? Maybe try "forgetting" the network and reattaching...

OP
T
Reaction score
Are you connecting to your old router? Maybe try "forgetting" the network and reattaching...

Yes i went from my cable companies cisco router/modem (all in one) and found my devices could never find my media servers. So I called and asked them to bridge it. Thus I can use my old router dir655 wirelessly as I had before. And I would be able to get my media servers and watch/listen on xbox/ps3.

That all changed.

And I just got an error on ps3, it obtained an ISP address but couldn't connect to the internet with error code DNS 80710102 erver error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Basically, you just need to make sure that the D-Link is the only one handing out addresses and also the only one the wireless clients are connecting to. I am guessing enabling bridging on the Cisco shuts off DHCP (protocol that dishes out addresses), but I am not positive...

OP
T
Reaction score
Basically, you just need to make sure that the D-Link is the only one handing out addresses and also the only one the wireless clients are connecting to. I am guessing enabling bridging on the Cisco shuts off DHCP (protocol that dishes out addresses), but I am not positive...

I think your exactly right!! My ISP had to add another IP address for my router!! I am not sure why they didn't do this when they bridged me.

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.