advice on retrieving data from damaged HDD please

Reaction score
recently my MacBook HDD failed and wouldn't boot past the circle with the slash screen.

I replaced the HDD.

My question is, is it possible to take the damaged HDD and put it into an external case such as a My Passport case or other and then try and retrieve data off it?

If this is possible does anyone have any advice on the best methods I could try?

If it's possible I figure it's worth a shot, but I'm just new to this process.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers.

Reaction score
recently my MacBook HDD failed and wouldn't boot past the circle with the slash screen.

I replaced the HDD.

My question is, is it possible to take the damaged HDD and put it into an external case such as a My Passport case or other and then try and retrieve data off it?

If this is possible does anyone have any advice on the best methods I could try?

If it's possible I figure it's worth a shot, but I'm just new to this process.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers.

You can try that. Also do the freezer trick...often a going bad drive will work for a bit if you chill it out and then get the data off of it. Just put it in the freezer for a few hours. If you really get tricky you can buy the same drive and then disassemble and combine parts to get the data retrieved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.