Making a site and Quicktime stuff.....

O

OzzysCross101

Ok. I know OS X like the back of my hand. I know everything i need to know to keep my Mac as happy as possible. But when it comes to designing web pages (and such) , I'm a total newbie who dosn't know much.

I am trying to creatie a site using Dreamweaver and Illustrator. My only question is, who do I get to host my site (if anyone at all) and how? Is there a way I can do it myself? I would think not, but that dosn't mean I'm right (remember, when it comes to web-based things like this, I have almost no idea;))

Also, I would like to add Quicktime movies into different places, movies that come from my Mac. Or can I not do that? I want to leave a movie in a comment box for MySpace. While i can get the code to work to start the quicktime player, I can't get the movie to play. How can I do this?

OP
S

sursuciofla

Well you can buy a domain name and hosting service. I do that currently. It costs a little bit of money though. Like $6.95-8.95/mo or whatever is the range. Usually have to pay for three months base. There are always free space on the web but you have to deal with advertisements which is the tradeoff as well as limited space. I'll leave quicktime to someone else but in Dreamweaver you just go to the Insert tab. But like I said I wll leave QT to someone else since I am no expert on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
I just started a site for my college tuba section and we are using Dreamhost. They are awesome. You can have quicktime streaming on your page, and you can ftp your sites directly from Dreamweaver. Check out their website: www.dreamhost.com if you order a package and put MACFORUMS as the promo code you will get a one time $25 discount on hosting.

Reaction score
about the webhosting thing, it is possible to serve a site of off your computer, but it will slow down your internet connection soooo much it would suck, also its pretty complicated to set up, and your computer has to be on anytime you want to access the site, so pretty much always on. It would probably be cheaper to get a web host, for probably less then $10 a month, then pay for the extra electricity costs...

I use 1and1 internet which has been pretty good to me for the past 2 years
www.1and1.com
they have a lot of added features to help you out too

-For the quicktime, I am not really sure what you are asking, but the code to embed a quicktime file into a webpage looks like this, and you have to set the play and controller parameters, so that might be why it wont play for you

CODE

<embed height="250" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" src="MOVIE.MOV" type="video/quicktime" width="320" controller="true" autoplay="false">

if you change the autoplay value to TRUE then the clip should play as soon as the page loads.

hope that helped

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
boarderjosh10 said:
-For the quicktime, I am not really sure what you are asking, but the code to embed a quicktime file into a webpage looks like this, and you have to set the play and controller parameters, so that might be why it wont play for you

CODE

<embed height="250" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/" src="MOVIE.MOV" type="video/quicktime" width="320" controller="true" autoplay="false">

if you change the autoplay value to TRUE then the clip should play as soon as the page loads.

hope that helped

That code you gave will not work in IE, only in Safari, Firefox, etc. The code that should be used in order to ensure compatibility is

Code:
<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" WIDTH="160"
HEIGHT="144" CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab">
<PARAM name="SRC" VALUE="sample.mov">
<PARAM name="AUTOPLAY" VALUE="true">
<PARAM name="CONTROLLER" VALUE="false">
<EMBED SRC="sample.mov" WIDTH="160" HEIGHT="144" AUTOPLAY="true"
CONTROLLER="false"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">
</EMBED>
</OBJECT>

More information can be found here:
http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/compatibility.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
OzzysCross101 said:
I am trying to creatie a site using Dreamweaver and Illustrator. My only question is, who do I get to host my site (if anyone at all) and how? Is there a way I can do it myself? I would think not, but that dosn't mean I'm right (remember, when it comes to web-based things like this, I have almost no idea;))

You might be able to host it on your Mac, but as has been noted by boarderjosh10 it will affect your internet connection. But also many, if not most these days, ISPs block inbound port 80 so they don't allow their subscribers to run web servers, and honestly, it's just not the best solution.

I'd recommend getting a good host to do it for you. Many of us here use DreamHost and really like them. And as was pointed out there is a deal for Mac-Forums.com members if you use the code MACFORUMS during the checkout.

Also, I would like to add Quicktime movies into different places, movies that come from my Mac. Or can I not do that?

The code is posted below. Also DreamHost has free Quicktime streaming available which is even better if you want to post alot of QT movies on your site.

OP
S

steveedge

You can export your QT movie as a progressive Download, which many people think of as streaming, although technically it is not. When someone opens a QT progressive DL movie, it immediately begins to download and play as if it were streaming.
Good Luck,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.