Reading material - books, magazines, etc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13 (mid-2012), 1.8 i5, 8Gb ram, 128Gb SSD
I recently got my first iOS device, a 16gb wifi+3G iPad 2. I am LOVING it and think it is an amazing device. I am so impressed, I have now ordered an Apple TV 3rd gen and will be getting an iMac in the next few months. I'm an MCSE, certified since the NT4.0 days so know Windows back to front, inside and out. But until the last few years, Mac has never been big in South Africa, so I have never been exposed to it.

I would like to subscribe to a magazine or two, in order to learn more about Mac OS X and iOS and everything associated with Apple products, software and services. There are so many out there, so would like some advice on which is best for someone switching.

I am also interested in buying a book that will get me up to speed quickly with the basics, but at the same time expose me to some of the more advanced features.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I like the Missing Manual series. Here are two potentials:

Amazon.com: Mac OS X Lion: The Missing Manual: The Missing Manual eBook: David Pogue: Kindle Store

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NHLF5C/?tag=macforums0e4-20

I have the first one in Kindle Format (works great in Kindle APP on iPad). Haven't read the second one, and it may be too basic for you.

As far as magazines, opinions differ; I like MacWorld and recently switched my paper subscription to electronic to read in Zinio on the iPad.

EDIT: I downloaded a sample of the Switching to Mac book and it looked interesting, so I bought it.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Many Thanx. I will have a look at those.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
EDIT: I downloaded a sample of the Switching to Mac book and it looked interesting, so I bought it.

I just hopped onto iBooks now and downloaded a sample too. It looks like this mite be exactly what I'm after. Thank you for your recommendation.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just hopped onto iBooks now and downloaded a sample too. It looks like this mite be exactly what I'm after. Thank you for your recommendation.

Out of curiosity, how much is the iBook Store Price?
Amazon was $9.99. I tend to buy my eBooks at Amazon, but compare from time to time on price and availability.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Out of curiosity, how much is the iBook Store Price?
Amazon was $9.99. I tend to buy my eBooks at Amazon, but compare from time to time on price and availability.

It is quite a bit more expensive in iBooks store. $14.99

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is quite a bit more expensive in iBooks store. $14.99

That has been my usual experience. And, until Apple went with iCloud, Amazon had a more liberal policy on usage than iBook Store. Now, they are pretty much equivalent.

Reaction score
hello everybody!

i was hoping you would be able to help me - i would love to know your opinions about ipad magazines for my dissertation. if you could just take a few minutes to fill out my survey i would really greatly appreciate it!

many many thanks!

http://kwiksurveys.com?s=LMOKLJ_1c467581

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.