Newbie question

B

buckeyedoc444

I now have my new PowerMac and want to upgrade my home network. I currently have a Linksys wireless router but it is "b" and I want to upgrade to "g". The Airport base station looks like it only has a single port for a directly wired PC. However I have 3 of the 4 computers that I can hook up directly for better speed. The wireless part is for my ibook.

What do I need to hook up the wired computers? I have an old Linksys BEFSR41 4 port cable/DSL router with 4 port switch. Will this work or will there be configuration issues with the Airport in regards to DHCP?

I'd like to keep it in the Apple family if they make the hardware. 3 of the 4 computers are Macs. The other is a Dell running XP.

Thanks for your help in advance. :miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Apple doesn't make switches,..which is what you'd need. Any garden variety would be just fine. I'd at least get an eight port switch.

Reaction score
buckeyedoc444 said:
What do I need to hook up the wired computers? I have an old Linksys BEFSR41 4 port cable/DSL router with 4 port switch. Will this work or will there be configuration issues with the Airport in regards to DHCP?

The Airport will work in parallel with your existing router, you need to make sure you turn the DHCP services off for the Airport. You just need to connect the Airport to your existing router via one of the router's 4 switch ports and the Airport's Ethernet port.

You are using the Airport as a wireless access point, and using the router for DHCP etc. Given you have a built in Switch ports you can use them for the wired Computers, if you need more ports then you just connect a network switch to the router.

I have a similar system on one of my networks, an ADSL Router, with an 8 port hub/switch, and an Airport as an Wireless Access Point. The router deals with DHCP etc and everything runs just fine.

Tris...

OP
B

buckeyedoc444

Tris... said:
The Airport will work in parallel with your existing router, you need to make sure you turn the DHCP services off for the Airport. You just need to connect the Airport to your existing router via one of the router's 4 switch ports and the Airport's Ethernet port.

You are using the Airport as a wireless access point, and using the router for DHCP etc. Given you have a built in Switch ports you can use them for the wired Computers, if you need more ports then you just connect a network switch to the router.

I have a similar system on one of my networks, an ADSL Router, with an 8 port hub/switch, and an Airport as an Wireless Access Point. The router deals with DHCP etc and everything runs just fine.

Tris...

Thanks. I may just upgrade to a new Linksys "g" rather than an Airport since they're on sale for ~$70 which is $100 bucks less than an Airport. If the Linksys works, why spend the extra dollars?

Todd

P.S. - Cute dog!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.