Airport Extreme alternative/Time Capsule

Reaction score
I want to set up a shared hard drive on my home network but don't want the short lifespan of the TC/AE ( about 18 months ). Can some one steer me in the right direction for a reliable substitute. i have my internet through AT&T.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I want to set up a shared hard drive on my home network but don't want the short lifespan of the TC/AE ( about 18 months ).

Where are you getting info that the lifespan of the Time Capsule/Apple Extreme Base Station is only 18 months?...and please don't say..."Lots of people on the internet!";)

In many cases on the internet...you only hear from folks with problems (and these problems may or may not be an Apple issue...they could be user issues).;)

And for every negative comment you see on the internet...there could be 100's or even 1000's of satisfied customers. "Happy" customers don't have a reason to post (they're happy)...but folks with problems will always post...and as they should...just in case there is a solution to a problem!:)

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Where are you getting info that the lifespan of the Time Capsule/Apple Extreme Base Station is only 18 months?...and please don't say..."Lots of people on the internet!";)

In many cases on the internet...you only hear from folks with problems (and these problems may or may not be an Apple issue...they could be user issues).;)

And for every negative comment you see on the internet...there could be 100's or even 1000's of satisfied customers. "Happy" customers don't have a reason to post (they're happy)...but folks with problems will always post...and as they should...just in case there is a solution to a problem!:)

- Nick

You have a great point! I saw the 18 months info on the Apple site where I was gonna purchase the airport extreme. Sounds like I should go ahead and get it.

OP
V
Reaction score
Do you know of a place were I could get the best price on an Airport Extreme?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Do you know of a place were I could get the best price on an Airport Extreme?

If you're talking a brand new unit...generally speaking the price does not vary that much from what the Apple Store charges. But you could check Amazon & Best Buy online.

If you're talking used...e-Bay or Craig's List.

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
I went ahead and purchased the AirPort Extreme with My Book Live. I love the extreme but I am having trouble setting up My Book Live to access my shared files from outside my network.

Reaction score
why would you just submit to his response???

You have a great point! I saw the 18 months info on the Apple site where I was gonna purchase the airport extreme. Sounds like I should go ahead and get it.

You mentioned that reliability is around 18 months and Nick starts hitting you with " where did you get that info "... you told him that it came from the Apple site. Then you just backed down and said " you have a great point "? Come on, you gave him your source, and it's published on Apples site... They don't really seem to be denying it...
Don't just cave to peer pressure... He didn't give any hard facts that proved otherwise.:Not-Amused:

And don't think im saying this to be anti apple, I use both mac and pc. I just disagree with the approach and the easy submit...

This was written on a MBP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.