What to use transferring photos to iMac from camera into lightroom

Reaction score
Hi All,

For the last year I have been using a Sandisk ImageMate to transfer my photos directly into lightroom. I would open lightroom, plug in my card and lightroom would automatically detect it, load the photos and then I could proceed with my download.

Well it just crapped out on me and I tried doing it directly from one of my cameras and it did not work the same way. Downloaded old photos still on card as well and didn't let me choose where and how I wanted to download them. And it was extremely slow.

This Sandisk reader has been a little troublesome off and on and I don't want to buy another.

How does everyone else transfer their images? I have a lot of them constantly and need speed and directly into lightroom.

Thanks in advance.

Lucy Goose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I just have a generic card reader that does the job well so I can't really recommend a particular reader but image capture is an app built into your Mac that's great for transfer images from camera or reader.

Just for info it would really help if you added you Mac model and OS version to your post, profile or signature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I use a Simplifi dock from Griffin Technology. Reads the major cards, plus it's a dock for my iPod and iPhone.

OP
L
Reaction score
I have an iMac running Snow leopard. OS X. I find it frustrating that they don't have card reader slots built right into the iMac. One slot on the side and I have no idea what card would fit that. Not mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Newer Macs have SD card readers built in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What sort of memory cards do you use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Figures. Mine is only a year, still should have had them.

A year what...? Old...? If it's newer than early 2009 it has a card reader...

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes one it that does not fit my cards which are compact flash. I am just wondering what folks use to transfer???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Yes one it that does not fit my cards which are compact flash. I am just wondering what folks use to transfer???

Yes, the SD card slots.. while standard these days on everyone's hardware.. are useless for those of us with CF cards. Any USB based CF reader will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.