Windows 7 installation failing - Disk Utility problem?

Reaction score
I've downloaded an .iso file of Windows 7 64-bit (legally!). I've created a partition in Boot Camp Assistant, formatted it to NTFS and began to install Windows. It started hanging once it reached 22% before coming up with an error message.

When I originally burned the DVD using Disk Utility, I recall that the verification failed. I ignored that, as I've written discs before which have failed to verify correctly but have gone on to work perfectly well. However, this is the first time I've created a bootable .iso disc so I'm thinking that this may be the problem. I've tried burning several more copies. They've all failed to verify and then wouldn't install. However, they crashed at different points in the installation process.

I'm thinking that the failure to verify is a symptom of the problem. Is it likely to be a hardware issue with the DVD-R drive (it's the Matishita DVD-R UJ-898 that it was shipped with)? Could it be a problem with Disk Utility, and, if so, can anybody recommend an alternative program capable of writing bootable .iso discs? Is it likely to be the blank DVDs themselves? I've already got through five of them now.

If it's relevant, these are my system specs:
MacBook Pro (late 2010) running OS X 10.6.8.
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory

I'd really appreciate any help.

Many thanks,
Johnny

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's probably a fault with your optical drive. Try cleaning the drive with a can of compressed air. Blow a couple of short blasts in the slot. If the lens is dirty or dusty that should clean it off.

Also try burning the disk at the slowest speed possible. If you wish, you can download the free "Burn" program from here and use it instead of Disk Utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.