Did you get your new iPad yet?

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Since today is the official release of the new iPad, let us know how you got it or what you are doing to pass the time!

If you were at retail store, let us know! How was the line? How were the people? How was the weather? Have any pictures?

Are you avoiding the lines and waiting for your pre-ordered iPad in the comforts of your home? Did you take off work? Are you watching movies while you wait? Are you having a iPad release party with family and/or house pets?

Discuss!

Reaction score
Working at home today. We have two showing up, one by FedEx and one by Brown. Neither has made its way here yet, but I have LOTS to keep me busy (you know, like posting on Mac Forums
mathews_tongue.gif
)!

Reaction score
Picked mine up at Best Buy this morning at 9 am. There were about 10 people in line. Walked in, picked it up, paid for it and walked out the door. Very nice retina display, but I haven't come across many new features yet.

UPDATE:

My new iPad 3 has light coming in from around one of the edges as if the inner part of the iPad has separated from the outer frame. Very annoying. I think it's a defect so it's going back to the store. Wish me luck!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
UPDATE:

My new iPad 3 has light coming in from around one of the edges as if the inner part of the iPad has separated from the outer frame. Very annoying. I think it's a defect so it's going back to the store. Wish me luck!

Apple has had this problem previously at the time of launch of the previous iPads (light bleeding thru):

Is your iPad 2 backlight bleeding? (video) -- Engadget
If Your iPad 2 Has Display Problems, DO NOT Return It. Here’s Why | Cult of Mac
iPad 2 Light Bleed and Yellowing And What You Can Do | TCGeeks
LG Pleads Guilty on iPad 2 Light 'Bleeding' Screens - Softpedia

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is what it looks like:

So other than the light bleeding issue...what can you say about the retina display vs. the previous iPad 1 & iPad 2 displays?

- Nick

p.s. If the light bleed issue is really bad...just return it...which I know is an unfortunate thing to have to do...and they may not have an immediate replacement to give you due to demand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac i7/3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, OSX 10.7.2
My new iPad doesn't look like that, send yours back for a replacement.

The display is awesome and I can now use it in portrait orenentation without zooming all the time.
Coming from an iPad 1 it's. Revelation. So far I'm totally pleased with it.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got the iPad delivered from Fedex around noon!

I don't have classes today, so I was able to receive my mother's iPad for her and set it up. She probably doesn't want me to take the cellphone off, so I have to leave it on for now. But I definitely can't see any pixels, so I'm sure it's beautiful behind the cellophane. :p

When the FedEx guy handed it to me, he said "Another iPad!".

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't have classes today, so I was able to receive my mother's iPad for her and set it up. She probably doesn't want me to take the cellphone off, so I have to leave it on for now. But I definitely can't see any pixels, so I'm sure it's beautiful behind the cellophane. :p

Well that stinks...maybe you can call your Mom...and tell her that the iPad has arrived...and that you would be more than happy to open it up & "set it up" for her!!!;)

I would love to hear your comments regarding the new retina display quality!:)

When the FedEx guy handed it to me, he said "Another iPad!".

It would be interesting to see the back of the average delivery truck today...just to see how many iPad boxes there are!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
So other than the light bleeding issue...what can you say about the retina display vs. the previous iPad 1 & iPad 2 displays?

- Nick

p.s. If the light bleed issue is really bad...just return it...which I know is an unfortunate thing to have to do...and they may not have an immediate replacement to give you due to demand.
I returned the iPad and received a replacement. So far, so good. The retina display is incredible. I had wallpaper on my iPad 2 which I transferred to the iPad 3. Now the wallpaper looks "pixelated" on the iPad 3 since the resolution is so much higher. I'll need to download some new wallpaper! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Just arrived via FedEx. Need to get it loaded up.

OP
iWhat

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that stinks...maybe you can call your Mom...and tell her that the iPad has arrived...and that you would be more than happy to open it up & "set it up" for her!!!;)

I would love to hear your comments regarding the new retina display quality!:)

It would be interesting to see the back of the average delivery truck today...just to see how many iPad boxes there are!;)

- Nick

She might want a protective cover. And I don't want to hear all tonight that her iPad had figure prints ALL OVER IT as she keeps cleaning. I'll never understand that.

The screen is really impressive looking, if I try to ignore the cellophane. I can't really get too descriptive, cause I don't know what apps that I'm looking at support retina display or not. But the stock apps and the home screen look flawless.

I returned the iPad and received a replacement. So far, so good. The retina display is incredible. I had wallpaper on my iPad 2 which I transferred to the iPad 3. Now the wallpaper looks "pixelated" on the iPad 3 since the resolution is so much higher. I'll need to download some new wallpaper! :)

I was worried that you'd get back and they'd have none left. That's good to hear that you got another one quickly. I'm just glad Apple let us pre-order, so the retail stores wouldn't be a hassle for others.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

WOW...that's awesome!:) I'm surprised they had a replacement to give you. I would have thought almost every stores stock would have been sold out by now.

Thanks for the retina display info. I'm still deciding whether to get an iPad 3 ("New iPad");)...or getting a refurbished iPad 2.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She might want a protective cover. And I don't want to hear all tonight that her iPad had figure prints ALL OVER IT as she keeps cleaning. I'll never understand that..

Yes..certainly very difficult to avoid fingerprints with an iPad!;)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I had originally planned to give the business to a local Mac shop. I waited in the cold and wet (unnecessarily, as it turns out) for 45 minutes for them to open. Once we got inside they told us they didn't have any 32GB models, which disappointed me.

Some context before I go on: I live on Vancouver Island, not to be confused with the nearby City of Vancouver. The island and its largest city Victoria is the provincial capital, but it's a pretty small town by my standards (300,000 pop.). Despite this, we have LOADS of places that sell Macs and iOS stuff, so the "crowd" that wanted to get iPads today is well spread out around town.

Anyway, I had an insight that maybe the big US-owned "office supply" chains would get more shipment than the little Mac stores, so I drove to the nearby Staples where I walked in, asked, got and paid. For once, they lived up to their slogan "That was easy." :)

I'll give the local Mac-only dealers future business on a new case and other accessories that are frankly more profitable for them anyway. Staples probably netted $25 off today's near-$700 purchase.

I'm in the process of "restoring" the new iPad from my iPad 1 backup (got $250 for that, so really this new iPad only cost me $444 Canadian) so I can't comment on the machine itself much, but the unboxing was it's usual experience. :)

I really enjoyed my original iPad and am looking forward to using the new one later today. My original Apple cover for the iPad 1 fits this one (sorta), so I'm using that for protection temporarily until I decide on a proper case. I'm kind of thinking of the YourType Folio from Belkin ($100) since it has a (I'm told) good-quality tactile removable BT keyboard included, but I haven't decided yet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From what I'm hearing and seeing from various sources...it sounds like most folks (at least up to this point at 4:30pm EDT) are able to get the iPad 3 ("New iPad") that they wanted.

Not many reports of folks walking away empty handed (at least in the US and Canada)!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I got mine today at BestBuy. Surprisingly, they had plenty of stock in all models. Every model was well stocked. The floor reps said there was no mad rush today and there wasn't even a line when they opened. The last iteration, there were people waiting outside 4 hours before opening. It appears most people who wanted one in advance, pre-ordered from the Apple Store. .

I am impressed with some features and not so impressed with others.

The new display is nice and is gorgeous. However, unless you are going to be viewing HD content, it really isn't much of an upgrade from the Ipad2 in terms of what you are going to actually see on the screen. Netflix does not stream HD to the Ipad so you are pretty much stuck with the 780P resolution that you had on the Ipad2. HD streaming is a bandwidth hog so unless your WifFi is up to the task, it's a moot point anyways. Also, streaming HD video content from the 3G or 4G connections will cost you a lot of money in bandwidth charges. HD streaming is probably not a practical affair so I can see why it is left off many apps.

Photos and vidoes are obviously much prettier to look at, even low-res images zoomed to fit the screen. IMO, the new ipad does a better job of upscaling images. The contrast and color profile also seems to be more natural.

I really have not noticed a difference in speed. Thew new processor seems to account for the higher res display but web browsing and connectivity appears to be the same.

I played a couple games I have paid for and downloaded to the new ipad. A game like HD Pinball deluxe pretty much looks the same as on the Ipad2 because a new HD version is not yet available for the increased resolution. The same for the other game I tested,

A couple negatives noticed right away:

The new model does feel heavier and a bit bulkier in the hand. You will notice the difference. It is not enough to be a deal breaker, but it is enough that you will feel it in the hand. I wouldn't classify it as minor, however, It is signifigantly heavier feeling in the hand, regardless of what the specs say. I have a feeling some reviews are going to ding it for this. This is in no way a thinner and lighther upgrade. In terms of analogy, I would say Macbook vs Macbook Air in terms of relative weight. Although its only a couple mm difference on the spec sheets, it does indeed feel bulkier when held. How much is due to the sensation of increased weight is hard to tell but the back portion does seem to bulge more even though from the edge to bottom, it is only mm thicker than the Ipad2. The center does seem thicker. It won't fit inside the hardshell, clear plastic case I had for the Ipad2, although the magnetic cover does seem to work without issues.

Also, this thing gets hot -- rapidly. Obviously, with the new retina display, power consumption has signifigantly increased. The ipad got hot enough after 2 hours of heavy use that it became a distraction while holding it. Not burning-hot like a laptop that has been running for an hour, but enough that it is going to be noticeable. How hot it can get I don't know. Another thing it will probably get dinged for in reviews. This is expected, however. Double the resolution and you have twice as many pizels to feed power. The battery is going to put out more wattage and associated heat.

Battery life. Haven't used it long enough to tell but I only used up 20% in about 2 hours of heavy multimedia and streaming use. This is about typical for my Ipad2.

IMO, if you will just use the Ipad for web browsing and social networking etc and make little use of multimedia, you will probably be happier with the Ipad2 and save $100. It is noticeably lighter and in my subjective opinion, it feels better in the hand. If you use it mainly for multimedia and video streaming, however, it will be worth the upgrade. But just dont expect a lot of HD content right now as this is new.

Reaction score
Hi all. First time here. My new iPad arrived today - so far everything looks great and works great! I'm not very familiar with apple products at the moment, but I'm looking to change that :)

Quick question: is the battery supposed to charge when it's connected to my computer? It's not doing so right now, so I want to double check whether that's normal. Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One negative--this thing gets hot -- rapidly. Obviously, with the new retina display, power consumption has signifigantly increased. The ipad got hot enough after 2 hours of heavy use that it became a distraction while holding it. Not burning-hot like a laptop that has been running for an hour, but enough that it is going to be noticeable. How hot it can get I don't know.

Battery life. Haven't used it long enough to tell but I only used up 20% in about 2 hours of heavy multimedia and streaming use. This is about typical for my Ipad2.

Thanks for all that great initial iPad 3 ("New iPad") info and review!:)

So since you are an owner of an iPad 2 & the "New iPad"...regarding heat...your saying that the new iPad gets much warmer than the iPad 2? Does the iPad 2 get warm at all?

Also...what do you think (or anyone else with the new iPad) of the new iPads camera. It's supposed to be better than the iPad 2's camera...any quality comparisons?

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Thanks for all that great initial iPad 3 ("New iPad") info and review!:)

So since you are an owner of an iPad 2 & the "New iPad"...regarding heat...your saying that the new iPad gets much warmer than the iPad 2? Does the iPad 2 get warm at all?

Also...what do you think (or anyone else with the new iPad) of the new iPads camera. It's supposed to be better than the iPad 2's camera...any quality comparisons?

Thanks,

- Nick

Those are just my initital subjective impressions after only having it for 6 hours.

I never noticed any heat from the Ipad2 beyond a slightly warm feeling during heavy use. The new Ipad feels warm after just a few minutes of use. After an hour, it was warm enough that I would classify it as hot for a portable device--kind of like some cellphones get when you let it sit and charge for 8 hours.

The front camewra seems about the same I think both are VGA so that is expected. The 1080P video is definitiely a step up in quality. I don't use the ipad much to to take videos or photos so its a non issue for me either way. But I would say the rear camera is definitely better quality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.