Viruses?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro: 2.16 ghz intel core duo, 256 mb video ram, 2 gb ram, 120 gb hd.
Hello,

Not sure where to post this but I think this is the right place. I just got done setting up my mac to a network with my PC so I could send music and other files to my mac. Now, since then we've been getting e-mails that the anti-virus software has been catching. I am just wondering if there is something I should do, like with a firewall or something? I was under the understanding that Macs weren't very suceptible to viruses. My mom is now riding my case--she thinks that the iMac is giving out pc viruses, even though we haven't gotten one yet, just that we are getting e-mails that have viruses in them. Also should I get some anti-virus software for my iMac?

Thanks,
"Scatman"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
OK, the simple explanation is that there are still no known viruses that can INFECT Macintosh computers. However, your computer can still be a "carrier" of PC viruses (especially through stuff like email and instant messaging.) So your iMac MIGHT somehow have a virus on it that is being transferred to your Mom's PC via email. The only way to be sure is to go ahead and get the antivirus software. That will delete any viruses from your computer and prevent future ones from getting in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
sevenhelmet said:
OK, the simple explanation is that there are still no known viruses that can INFECT Macintosh computers. However, your computer can still be a "carrier" of PC viruses (especially through stuff like email and instant messaging.) So your iMac MIGHT somehow have a virus on it that is being transferred to your Mom's PC via email. The only way to be sure is to go ahead and get the antivirus software. That will delete any viruses from your computer and prevent future ones from getting in.
You can't be a carrier without sending the viruses yourself. If you forward a message that has a virus, then you are the carrier, but your macs email client, iChat or whatever IM protocol you are using, does not send along the viruses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.