• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Recommendations on a VERY trustworthy eBay seller?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
So, I've pretty much sworn off eBay and PayPal, but I'm at a point where I might have to go back on my word and use them. I might get away with using a family members account but whatever... Anyway, I really need a new phone, and it's likely going to be (%99.999) an iPhone via Verizon. I'm with Sprint right now, and have no complaints about their voice service or texting etc but... since the iPhone has gotten on board, their data throughput has been atrocious! What kills me is that we pay $110 after taxes and surcharges for both lines with unlimited data. But what's the use of "unlimited" if it takes 2 minutes to download 768 kilobites!? Bah!

Anyway, I'm ready to jump to VZN but need to get a phone before hand. I will not be signing a contract. This brings me to the question: Whom here has had dealings with a reputable eBay seller? Preferably one with a real eStore and not just some random seller, even if their ratings appear good. I would like to deal with a source that has been doing business for years with a good track record.

Of course, any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This brings me to the question: Whom here has had dealings with a reputable eBay seller? Preferably one with a real eStore and not just some random seller, even if their ratings appear good. I would like to deal with a source that has been doing business for years with a good track record.

I know what you're saying about e-Bay. I have had mixed experiences with Paypal. Negative experiences as a seller (they almost always seem to rule against sellers in a dispute...even if the buyer is dishonest)...but mostly positive experiences as a buyer (if I had a dispute)...and wanted/needed a refund.

So if you happen to have a problem when buying a phone...you will most likely have a "safety net" with Paypal.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Believe it or not, "estores" have the most negative product feedback when compared to the average user selling on there. An estore buys low and sells high. They don't know how anything was truly used. I would rather buy from a real person who has used that phone and shows it in good condition, as well as providing an accurate explanation of the condition, what it comes with, and what his return policy is. All users will write "no returns," "sold as-is," and what not, but ebay overrides anything they say if you have a problem with something. If I were looking for an iPhone, I wouldn't hesitate to buy on ebay...but then again, I'm not like some morons who bid on listing with no pictures and get upset when the real thing comes in. Look around first for what you believe is the best one listed. I'm just a regular ebay user, have accumulated over 360 transactions, and have 100% feedback. eBay always helped me out when something came up.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I hear what you're saying about PP Nick, and a safety net sounds novel, but I will never, ever trust them under any circumstances. Having to do business with them is one thing.. trusting is another though, I suppose.

@Igg: That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the comments and suggestions! It sounds like you're a pro...wanna hunt down a legit sale for me?! lol

Doug

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I hear what you're saying about PP Nick, and a safety net sounds novel, but I will never, ever trust them under any circumstances. Having to do business with them is one thing.. trusting is another though, I suppose.

If it means anything...I got a $750 refund from Paypal when I got ripped off when I bought (but didn't receive) an iMac on e-Bay.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
@Igg: That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the comments and suggestions! It sounds like you're a pro...wanna hunt down a legit sale for me?! lol

Doug

No problem! Just tell me what kind of iPhone you're looking for.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
i have sold 3 iPhones on my ebay account tbtfc05. 2 broken and one NIB. my total reviews are.. get this.. only 30 or so but all 100%.. i had zero issues with paypal, ebay, or my buyers.

If you decide to go on ebay i think you'll get the best deal. Stores are good and there is generally a company behind them from what i can piece together. If you get a regular jo like myself your not going to have the mega # of reviews, but you still have to look at the # and the %. Like i just said, good people exist.. I'm one of them.

If i currently didn't have an iPhone and wanted one i would def go on ebay. You seem like you've been on there before but my checklist is as follows if I'm buying from ebay.

# of reviews (i always like to have it over a few hundred.. but depending on what I'm buying i may go with a smaller number.

% if its not over 96 or 97, no go..

the trusted seller emblem.. they have to be over a certain percentage but i have always has success with those sellers

if they meet those requirements and have SOME type of return period... wether it be 3 days or 30 something has to be able to be sent back.. shipping out of my pocket or not..

but it seems you have a seller here.. gl

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.