iMac 27", TC, Airport, Magic Trackpad, iPad
I'm new with Mac so bear with me....

I like to do the following:
  • Install VMware Fusion
  • Create a 500GB partition on my 2TB Time Capsule
  • Install a 32bit version of windows XP on that partition

Does this make sense? Suggestions?

UPDATE:
I bought a copy of VMWARE Fusion 4 and installed it. Installation was a snap.
The installation of XP 32bit was also an absolute no-brainer.
In short: 30 minutes later I was running XP on VM without a glitch.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Are you trying to "stream" your virtual machine from your TC? If so, I'd recommend against doing that. Virtual machines are already slower than a regular install as-is and the last thing you want is to add complexity and potential bottlenecks (in this case, your networking). Any particular reason that you're looking to set this up this way?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27", TC, Airport, Magic Trackpad, iPad
Are you trying to "stream" your virtual machine from your TC? If so, I'd recommend against doing that. Virtual machines are already slower than a regular install as-is and the last thing you want is to add complexity and potential bottlenecks (in this case, your networking). Any particular reason that you're looking to set this up this way?

Hmmm....make sense. I thought to save some space on my main machine. Not that I'm short of space (yet), but I love to have redundant backups of all my graphics / photographs. My iMac is only 1TB and the TC 2TB. My rule of thumb is always to keep 30% HD space as my "playground". Installing windows on my main machine eats up valuable space fast.

Yes the backups goes automatically (time machine), but it certainly does not hurt to have a separate copy of all my graphics (as is) in a structure on my TC also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.