Music Player capable of loading artwork from folder

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm a Mac user for a few months now. I've spent some time toying around with both iTunes and Clementine. I like iTunes for being native to OSX whereas Clementine doesn't integrate 100% (but it does a pretty good job though).

My music library is organized in maybe a very specific way. There's a folder per artist and under those, folders per albums. Inside an album folder, I have the standard files (in the format of 01 - title.mp3, 02 - title.mp3) and the cover art in the format 00 - artist - album - front.jpg).

With Clementine I can easily tell it to load as artwork, a jpg file in the same folder as the music file, containing *front* in its title so this works. However this doesn't work for iTunes. And I don't feel like creating additional Mbs of junk on having iTunes build it's own replica of the cover art files that already exist. (that's what happens when I manually drop a file in the album art box right ? It creates a lower quality thumbnail of it and puts it in the mp3 itself or in iTunes own artwork library ?)

Songbird doesn't work too well either because it expects the file to have a fix standard name (like front.jpg for example) and doesn't seem to accept wildcards. I don't like having a standard name for cover art because if I want to find the files I don't want them to all have the same fix name..

Is there any sort of workaround or a good native Mac player that supports what I'm trying to do ? My cover art files are all good quality.. ;) already thinking ahead for the retina displays... I've been manually downloading cover art in 1000x1000 if possible.

Thanks a lot for any hints guys!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.