Manual Focus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 13" MacBook Pro + 2012 21.5" iMac + 16GB iPhone 5 + 32GB iPad2
I received some flowers for my birthday this weekend, they did not look to be lasting too well so before they completely went over I dusted off one of my old manual lenses and took some snaps.

All taken with Sony A200 and my Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/1.8 Pancolar. All bar the last are focus stacked shots.

Chincherinchees by vaughaag, on Flickr

Antique Carnation by vaughaag, on Flickr

Ranunculus by vaughaag, on Flickr

Parrot Tulip by vaughaag, on Flickr

And heres the lens I took them with, this was taken using another of my manual lenses, a Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Orestor 100mm f/2.8.

Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/1.8 Pancolar by vaughaag, on Flickr

All the best,
Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I love the antique orchid shot! I've personally never done any focus stacking, not sure I have the patience for such an endeavor... what software do you use and what is your technique?

Doug

OP
vaughaag
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 13" MacBook Pro + 2012 21.5" iMac + 16GB iPhone 5 + 32GB iPad2
I love the antique orchid shot! I've personally never done any focus stacking, not sure I have the patience for such an endeavor... what software do you use and what is your technique?

Doug

Thanks Doug,

I use Photoshop to stack them now. Before upgrading to an iMac, I had a PC and my Macbook Pro. On the PC I used a free application called Combine, since it worked well I never looked into equivalent software for the Mac until I booted the PC.

There are very few free applications out there that do the job as well as Combine. However, if you have Photoshop, (I'm using CS5.5) it works pretty well.

Patience is needed when taking the pictures yes, but after a few attempts you will get the technique down to a t and have no problems.

Rgds,
Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.