These are for Dougb

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It has been raining here all day. I was cooking dinner and saw this out the window, so I grabbed my Nikon P7100 and took some shots (didn't have time to go for my DSLR).

AftertheRain2.jpg

Doug helped me get my thinking straight when I was looking for a backup camera a month ago. Thanks to his input I finally settled on the P7100. This is my first chance to post some samples.

AftertheRain.jpg

AftertheRain3.jpg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Nice. I am trying the last one as a desktop pic. So far I like it for that. Nice change from the Lion one. I had been using a somewhat neutral grey for some photo stuff I was mucking with but this is more interesting.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Works quite nicely. Only thing I had to do was turn off the translucent menu bar option. The branches extended into the menu bar making it difficult to read the clock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm pleased that you're enjoying the P7100, though I'd probably have said to go for an Olympus E-P2 for $250 at that price range instead,lol! Nice colors, and ISO 800 looks pretty good at web resolution considering how dark those shots are.

I'd love to see more shots of your area. Perhaps some nice landscapes, where the trees are more in the distance etc.. Looks like some nice sunsets over there in the clearing.

Now that you've inspired me, I'll have one coming up for YOU.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Nice captures Razor :) Keep on clicking!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Very nice Razor!!

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice captures Razor :) Keep on clicking!

Very nice Razor!!

Thanks all!

I'm pleased that you're enjoying the P7100, though I'd probably have said to go for an Olympus E-P2 for $250 at that price range instead,lol!

I was very tempted by the E-P2 and the Sony NEX-5N for that matter. But you had told me the most important thing (as I remember) was how the camera fit the type of pictures I was taking.
So I did a thorough review of the last thousand or so of images in my library and it became clear that I really needed/wanted an articulating screen. Also, I was doing a lot of candid fairly close up shots of wife and family where the increased depth of field from the compact vs 4/3rds or APS-C was beneficial.
Last of all, the two command dials (front and back) and the fact that I could use my SB-400 and wireless remote with the P7100 sealed the deal.

Nice colors, and ISO 800 looks pretty good at web resolution considering how dark those shots are.

This is an instance where I think HDR would have really helped. The main thing I was looking for was the colors, so I kept dialling back the shutter speed to bring them out better. I like the contrast with the dark, almost black of the rest of the scene, but a little more dynamic range would have been nice.
Oh well, one thing more to add to my list of things to learn. ;)

I'd love to see more shots of your area. Perhaps some nice landscapes, where the trees are more in the distance etc.. Looks like some nice sunsets over there in the clearing.

That is the tricky thing!
Very hard in my area to see the landscape for the trees. If I had had time I could have shot over to the park where there are some relatively open vistas, but the light was too far gone by the time I noticed. It was either shoot where I was or miss altogether.
Maybe next time. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.