iPad 3 & a 4G LTE smartphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" quad-core iMac, 8GB RAM, 2TB HD...15" MBP w/ 4GB RAM...etc.
Can you piggyback an iPad3 onto a smartphone (e.g. Samsung Galaxy Note) that is able to act as a hub? Saving us the added expense of paying for another data plan just for the 4G iPad3.

Guess I'm trying to decide if it's worth the extra $130 CAD (not that much BUT...) or should I just save my money? I would only be using the iPad3 at home via WiFi or in an airport, or hotel via WiFi. Probably never be carrying around the iPad3 to where I would be using a 4G LTE (or 4G) connection.I will already have a Samsung Galaxy Note or maybe the upcoming iPhone 5 (if there's at least a 4.5" screen, 4G LTE support, widgets...).

Only thing missing on the iPad3 for me are widgets (a la android). Dunno why Apple still isn't including widget support on their iPads. Maybe we will have to wait for iOS6? :)

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
If your smartphone can be a personal wifi hotspot your iPad will connect to it...

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Thanks guys. Just wanted to confirm.

Just don't know yet if I'll be getting the 4G version of the iPad3 since 99% (guessing) of the time I'll be using it via a WiFi connection (e.g. home, airport or hotel) and not lugging around both an iPad3/smartphone.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess the only real reason to get a 4G iPad3 is if you don't plan on carrying around your 4G LTE (or non-LTE 4G) and only the iPad3...but still want 4G or 4G LTE speeds (assuming you live in a major city that supports LTE).

Since the iPad3 will see my future 4G LTE phone via WiFi I guess there's no need for me to get the 4G version since I could use my future 4G LTE phone as a hub or use a public WiFi network. Even if the cost difference is only $130 CAD. As I said...99% of the time I will be using the iPad3 at home/airport/hotel via WiFi.....if I want 4G LTE (or 4G) I can use the smartphone I end up buying (e.g. Samsung Galaxy Note vs iPhone 5).

iPhone 5 if it has widgets and at least a 4.5" screen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.