Mac Mini & D-Link DI-624+

V

VRXTC

Hi,

I've just moved house and the broadband modem is now in the loungeroom, previously I had the mac mini hooked up via ethernet cable directly to the D-Link 624+ wireless router.

What is the best way to connect to the D-Link 624+ router using wireless? The mac mini is now only about 5m away from the router, with 3 walls in between.

I've searched the net and several forum sites and cannot decide which is the best way to link these 2 up. There is also a Win XP PC that will be sharing the router (either wireless or via ethernet, we are not too sure yet).

Should I get the AirPort Extreme card - Will this work with the D-Link 624+? Or should I get a USB Dongle? I've read it is very hard to get a USB Dongle that is compatable with mac. I've read that the D-Link DWL-G122 (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4383690b061cdb6a273fc0a87f9c0713/Product/View/XH6348) is compatable with mac but only after downloading a certain patch or something?...

Can someone please shed some light on what I need to be doing? Or what equipment I should use?

Thanks
:headphone

OP
M

Merlinblack

Which mac mini do you have?

It seems strange that it doesn't have airport built in. Then again I don't know much about the mac mini's iterations.

IMO the airport card will be the best, more expensive, but the best. The dongle is doable but you do run into comatibility issues.

The airport card is made for macs and whenever possible you should buy stuff that is made for macs rather than third party stuff.

Should be fairly easy to install as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
Mac mini's didn't come with airport built in until June.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
if you get the Dlink adapter, it will work with your router. I have a 614+ router and goin to buy the usb key for the time being.
If you get it to work let me know.

Does anyone know if the Airport Extreme card works with ALLL routers? or do you have to buy that expensive apple router product?

OP
V

VRXTC

maz94protege said:
Does anyone know if the Airport Extreme card works with ALLL routers? or do you have to buy that expensive apple router product?

This is basically what I want to know as well... does anyone know the answer to this?.... :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
99% of routers work with the Airport Extreme card. The only one I've ever even had ISSUES with was a very old one, and that was because there was a complicated password functionality turned on that the Mac was not compatible with. After I turned that off, it worked flawlessly, and still does to this day.

OP
M

Merlinblack

Airport cards, while named different, are bassically just 802.11x cards. They use all the same protocols and all the same encryption and authentication as a d-link card or a linksys card.

You would be hard pressed to find a wireless router they didn't work with (well I guess Meyvn wouldn't :p)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.