Stream music from iMac and control via iPad

Reaction score
Here is what I want to do - let me know if possible.

Awaiting release of next iMac - house all my music on iMac on external drive - use apple tv in my living room connected via optical to my stereo and bring up my music collection on my ipad (housed on iMac) to play on my stereo. Id like to use iPad or iPhone as the main control and be able to see my full music library on either portable device. My apple tv will connect via wireless as I don't have a wired home network. Is this possible?

OP
T
Reaction score
I have speakers throughout my house so if I'm in another room and not in front of the tv/stereo will this still work?

OP
T
Reaction score
Ideally I don't want my TV to be on - more or less like my ipad/iphone is a jukebox controller.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Yes - read through the link I provided. It's pretty much exactly what you're asking for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I do this all the time. With Apple TV, iTunes Match and Apple Remote on my iPad or iPhone I can listen to and control all my music. If I am in the main room, I have an AirPort Express plugged into the main stereo and can do the same thing. It is awesome.

The total amount of setup time was about 15 minutes which consisted of turning on AirPlay on the devices and the initial setup of the AirPort Express.

The link above will help a lot.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.