• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Google is now gaming map search results

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok, check this out. While on the way home yesterday from out of town, I searched in Google Maps on my iPhone for the nearest Starbucks, and got a few hits, one a couple exits away. I then decided to check for another coffee shop that is local here since they have been expanding out of state, but no luck. So then I re-checked for Starbucks… and I got a hit for Dunkin Donuts instead. Same street as the closest Starbucks was the first time I checked, but quite clearly Dunkin Donuts, with the subtext "sponsored result". I looked at the search bar, and I clearly and correctly had typed Starbucks. I looked again at the map. No hits for Starbucks, just the one for Dunkin Donuts. So I simply searched again (no retyping, I just tapped the search field and re-searched) and got Starbucks properly this time.

So… basically it looks like Dunkin Donuts is paying Google to randomly replace search hits in Google Maps for Starbucks with their own stores. Maybe it was just this one store that is involved. Either way, that irritates the bejeezus out of me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" i5 MBP (Late 2011)
That interesting. I could see if there was an add for Dunkin, and then still a list of the nearest starbucks, but to not show any at all?

I'm a big Android guy, but I read that google may start allowing adds in the notification bar. If that happens, they will lose me as a customer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I'm personally getting sick of Google's antics these days. I used to LOVE my EVO 4g, and in some ways still do (sorry but, Vanilla Google Maps and Navigation can not be beat on this platform. Apple can not touch it for free, unfortunately. But of course, this is because Google won't play ball with Apple)

First off, backing up contacts as a "Google Contact" means jack crud. It doesn't always back things up correctly. Secondly, and most importantly for me, Google is not being as "open" as they would like people to think they are. For some time now, I've not been able to get badge notifications for the standard Gmail app, for unread mail. This is the most basic of basics for a smart phone! I use a launcher called "Go! Launcher" which is beautifully coded and is very smart. But Google won't share their API for Gmail with anybody, so that means being locked down.

Heck, I'm not even sure if badge notifications work with the standard HTC Sense Launcher...

Either way, if this is how Google wants to operate, then I'd MUCH rather be locked down with Apple, considering how much more Apple has to offer in terms of cloud services and the App Store. I already use most of the cloud features, so it makes sense to go all the way. My biggest apprehension though, is I don't like the size of the iPhone's screen, and Google Maps is totally Gimped.

Plus, from what I've seen thus far... The iPhone stinks with Sprint. Can't say ATT is much better either. Gonna have to give up unlimited data and go with Verizon, unless Sprint gets in gear and gets LTE rolling really soon.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Ok, check this out. While on the way home yesterday from out of town, I searched in Google Maps on my iPhone for the nearest Starbucks, and got a few hits, one a couple exits away. I then decided to check for another coffee shop that is local here since they have been expanding out of state, but no luck. So then I re-checked for Starbucks… and I got a hit for Dunkin Donuts instead. Same street as the closest Starbucks was the first time I checked, but quite clearly Dunkin Donuts, with the subtext "sponsored result". I looked at the search bar, and I clearly and correctly had typed Starbucks. I looked again at the map. No hits for Starbucks, just the one for Dunkin Donuts. So I simply searched again (no retyping, I just tapped the search field and re-searched) and got Starbucks properly this time.

So… basically it looks like Dunkin Donuts is paying Google to randomly replace search hits in Google Maps for Starbucks with their own stores. Maybe it was just this one store that is involved. Either way, that irritates the bejeezus out of me.

The logical leap in between the two paragraphs is astounding.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The logical leap in between the two paragraphs is astounding.

Explain.

EDIT: I should be more clear on what I want explained. Tell me what other logical conclusion should I come to, when searching for Starbucks the 1st and 3rd time gives me several hits for Starbucks and only Starbucks in a 30 mile radius, and the second search gives me a single sponsored hit for a Dunkin Donuts on the same block as the nearest Starbucks from the prior search, and NO Starbucks locations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Explain.

EDIT: I should be more clear on what I want explained. Tell me what other logical conclusion should I come to, when searching for Starbucks the 1st and 3rd time gives me several hits for Starbucks and only Starbucks in a 30 mile radius, and the second search gives me a single sponsored hit for a Dunkin Donuts on the same block as the nearest Starbucks from the prior search, and NO Starbucks locations?

I was actually asking you to "explain" since you made an extraordinary claim with insufficient justification.

I find it much more likely that Google simply includes things it deems similar enough to Starbucks (i.e. coffee places) in its search results when you punch it in, since this is how its normal web search works. The second time you hit Search, it probably assumed you didn't like any of the results you got the first time and showed you a sponsored link for a coffee shop instead. Of course, since you've only seen this ever happen once without even trying to reproduce it as far as I can tell based on your post, it may have even just been a hiccup or bug on that particular search where it didn't see any of the Starbucks results for some reason or another. This is the sort of thing you're supposed to give the developer feedback on, not immediately weave into a conspiracy theory.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was actually asking you to "explain" since you made an extraordinary claim with insufficient justification.

Nowhere in your post did you ask for an explanation.

I find it much more likely that Google simply includes things it deems similar enough to Starbucks (i.e. coffee places) in its search results when you punch it in, since this is how its normal web search works. The second time you hit Search, it probably assumed you didn't like any of the results you got the first time and showed you a sponsored link for a coffee shop instead. Of course, since you've only seen this ever happen once without even trying to reproduce it as far as I can tell based on your post, it may have even just been a hiccup or bug on that particular search where it didn't see any of the Starbucks results for some reason or another. This is the sort of thing you're supposed to give the developer feedback on, not immediately weave into a conspiracy theory.

A hiccup? Seriously? Is that what you are going with?

I'm not going to sit here and try to debate this. Go argue with yourself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.