Backup HD: wired or wireless

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
Got iMac a little while ago (coming from PC) I'll be getting new Backup HD and in a fog as to the best way to attach to the system. My current home network includes a couple of PC laptops, but that will change soon as I move to all Mac. Firewire, USB and ethernet to my router are all considerations, so my question is: has any forum reader had any experiences that would be something I need to consider before I make the HD purchase? I'll probably stick with a WD brand since I have always had the best of luck with them as have my friends in the PC world.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello,
A lot people on here speak highly of the Time Capsule but then there is a lot of other positive opinion for different set-ups and NAS.

Me personally I recently had a bad experience with a La Cie Network Space 2 hooked up to my wireless router by USB. It just wouldn't play and certainly not with Time Machine.

I ended up going with a WD My Book Studio with Firewire 800 directly to the back of my iMac. It's already formatted HFS+ Journaled and is TM compatible. I didn't even bother installing the proprietary software or partitioning it.

The sage advice on here is to have 2 lots of external storage, one for TM and one for bootable back-up.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...official-backup-faq-start-backing-up-now.html
Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
pendlewitch,
The only drive manufacturer I know of that has been unreliable for friends is seagate. I created a bootable USB stick when computer was new. I'm seriously considering the WD that connects to router via CAT5 cable so I can easily use it for backup for future Mac laptop/ipad.
Thanks for your advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.